Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Gold Shell (ID 3021)

Civilian call sign (1919):
Love - Fox - Sail - Boy


  • Built in 1916 by Harlan and Hollingsworth, Wilmington, DE
  • Struck a mine 10 July 1916, and damaged in the Bay of Biscay
  • Acquired by the Navy, 8 August 1917 and commissioned USS Gold Shell the same day
  • Assigned registry number ID-3021 in 1918
  • Decommissioned, 5 March 1919 at the New York Navy Yard and transferred to the United States Shipping Board for return to her owner
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 12,000 t.
  • Length 411' 6"
  • Beam 50' 1"
  • Draft 24' 8"
  • Speed 12 kts.
  • Complement 65
  • Armament: Two 4" mounts
  • PropulsionL One 3,500ihp steam engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Gold Shell 48k Possibly photographed on 10 August 1917, when she was inspected by the Third Naval District.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 104071
    Naval Historical Center

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Gold Shell was built in 1916 by Harlan and Hollingsworth, Wilmington, Del.; chartered from Shell Oil Co.; and commissioned 8 August 1917, Comdr. David R. Fleming
    in command.

    Gold Shell departed Philadelphia 26 August 1917 for Plymouth, England, and until 10 December 1918 carried fuel oil to various European ports in support of Allied forces She made a total of nine voyages to such ports as Spithead, Scapa Flow, Tobermory, and Brest, arriving at New York after her last crossing 10 December 1918. Gold Shell entered the New York Navy Yard to be simultaneously decommissioned and returned to her former owner
    5 March 1919.

    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Identification Numbered Ships (ID) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    © 2007 Joseph M. Radigan © 1996 - 2007 NavSource Naval History. All Rights Reserved.