Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Radnor (ID 3023)



Navy call sign:
George - Boy - Love - Jig



Civilian call sign:
Love - King - Jig - Nan

Freighter:

  • Built in 1918 as War Indian by the Sun Shipbuilding Co., Chester, PA
  • Renamed Radnor prior to completion
  • Launched 23 March 1918
  • Acquired by the Navy 11 April 1918
  • Commissioned USS Radnor (ID 3023), 13 May 1918
  • Returned to the United States Shipping Board (USSB) 24 October 1919
  • Sold in 1930 to the Luckenbach Steamship Co. of New York and renamed Jacob Luckenbach
  • Sold in 1947 to the China Overseas Lines of Shanghai, China and renamed Tung Ping
  • Sold in 1950 to the Pacific Union Marine Corp. of Panama and renamed Pacific Dragon
  • Sold in 1955 to Pacific Bulk Carrier Inc. of Panama and renamed Oceanic Justice
  • Scrapped in 1959 at Tokyo, Japan.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 10,000 t.
  • Length 450'
  • Beam 57' 6"
  • Draft 28' 2"
  • Speed 10.5 kts.
  • Complement 75
  • Armament: One 5" mount and one 6-pounder
  • Propulsion: One 2,600ihp steam engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Radnor 341k Article from the 23 March 1918 edition of the Evening Public Ledger, Philadelphia, PA Mike Mohl
    Radnor 83k Afloat immediately after launching, at the Sun Shipbuilding Company shipyard, Chester, Pennsylvania, circa early 1918.
    Photographed by J. E. Green, Chester, Pennsylvania
    Naval Historical Center photo NH 65070
    Robert Hurst
    Radnor 72k . .
    Radnor 131k Leaving port after embarking homeward-bound troops, 1919. Probably photographed at American Bassens, France.
    Donation of Dr. Mark Kulikowski, 2007.
    Naval Historical Center photo NH 104496
    Robert Hurst

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Radnor (Id. No. 3023), formerly War Indian, was built in 1918 by the Sun Shipbuilding Co., Chester, Pa., for the Cunard Steamship Co.; requisitioned by the Navy 11 April 1918, and commissioned at Philadelphia 13 May 1918, Lt. Comdr. Mareus S. Harloe, USNRF, in command.

    Radnor was assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service and was used as a cargo ship carrying Army munitions and supplies overseas during World War I. She departed Philadelphia 31 May 1918 for Cristobal, C.Z., with a full Army cargo and then proceeded via Callao, Peru, to Antofagasta, Chile, arriving 28 June. Radnor later joined two convoys to France, the first arrived at Marseilles 19 September and the second reached Quiberon 4 January 1919.

    Radnor was transferred to the Cruiser and Transport Force 7 March 1919 and was subsequently converted into a troop transport. During this assignment, she made four round trips to France, returning home with 5,876 veterans. Radnor was detached 25 September 1919 from the Cruiser and Transport Force and turned over to the USSB 24 October.


    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Identification Numbered Vessel (ID) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History