Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Identification Numbered Vessel Photo Archive

Wassaic (ID 3230)

Civilian call sign (1919):
Love - Mike - Fox - Have


  • Built in 1918 by the Los Angeles Shipbuilding and Drydock Co., Los Angeles, CA
  • Launched 14 April 1918
  • Acquired by the Navy 14 October 1918
  • Commissioned 19 October 1918 at New Orleans, LA
  • Decommissioned 29 May 1919, returned to the United States Shipping Board and struck from the Navy Register
  • Abandoned in 1931/1932.


  • Displacement 12,186 t.
  • Length 423' 9"
  • Beam 54'
  • Depth of hold 29' 9"
  • Draft 24' 2"
  • Speed 11.5 kts.
  • Complement 60
  • Armament: One 5"/51 and one 3"/50 mount
  • Propulsion: Four Heine boilers, one 2,500shp Westinghouse steam turbine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Wassaic 46k At anchor, probably when first completed by the Los Angeles Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, Los Angeles, California, in mid-1918
    U.S. Navy photo NH 89762
    Naval Historical Center
    Wassaic 137k Underway, probably when first completed by the Los Angeles Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, Los Angeles, California, in mid-1918
    U.S. Navy photo NH 102513
    Wassaic 72k Photographed on 25 July 1918 by her builder, the Los Angeles Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., San Pedro, California
    National Archives photo from
    Robert Hurst

    Commanding Officers
    01LCDR George Henry Cooke, USNRF11 October 1918 - 1919
    02LCDR Dennis Sullivan, USNRF1919
    Courtesy Joe Radigan and Wolfgang Hechler

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships History: Wassaic, a steel-hulled, single-screw freighter built under a Shipping Board contract, was launched on 14 April 1918 at Los Angeles, Calif., by the Los Angeles Shipbuilding and Drydock Co. Subsequently taken over by the Navy for use by the Naval Overseas Transportation Service (NOTS) and given Id. No. 3230. Wassaic was commissioned at New Orleans, La., on 11 October 1918, Lt. Comdr. George H. Cooke, USNRF, in command.

    Wassaic loaded 7,468 tons of Army supplies and got underway for Bordeaux, France, on 10 November, the day before the armistice was signed, ending World War I. En route to Europe, Wassaic encountered mechanical difficulties and was obliged to put into New York on the 16th for repairs. Underway 13 days later on the 29th, the freighter, rerouted in light of the war's end, sailed for Brest, France, instead
    of Bordeaux.

    Arriving on 13 December, the ship spent Christmas there before getting underway for the United States on the last day of the year. After a stop at Corona, Spain, for repairs to her damaged propeller Wassaic got underway from that port on 6 January 1919. Following stops at the Azores and Bermuda, the freighter made port at Newport News, Va., on 7 February.

    The ship took on a cargo of railroad supplies and departed the east coast on her second NOTS voyage on 10 March, bound for La Pallice, France. Arriving there on the 23d, she discharged her cargo and returned to the United States, heavily ballasted partly with a cargo of steel rails. Putting briefly into Norfolk on 22 April, Wassaic sailed for New Orleans on the following day, arriving on the 29th. Discharging her cargo of steel there, the freighter shifted to New York. There, after final repairs and inventories, Wassaic was decommissioned, struck from the Navy list, and returned to the Shipping Board, all on 29 May 1919.

    Wassaic remained in Shipping Board ownership until she was abandoned due to age and deterioration in 1931 or 1932.

    Back to tThe Main Photo Index Back to the Identification Numbered Vessel (ID) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by David Wright
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History