Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Naiwa (ID 3512)



Civilian call sign (1919):
Love - Nan - Have - Pup

Freighter:

  • Built in 1918 by the Baltimore Shipbuilding and Drydock Co., Baltimore, MD
  • Launched 4 July 1918
  • Acquired by the Navy 10 September 1918
  • Completed and commissioned 4 November 1918 at Baltimore
  • Decommissioned 9 May 1919 and returned to the United States Shipping Board
  • Scrapped in 1929.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 12,260 t.
  • Length 423' 9"
  • Beam 54'
  • Draft 24' 6"
  • Speed 10.5 kts.
  • Complement 85
  • Armament: One 5" and one 4" mount
  • Propulsion: One 2,500ihp steam engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Naiwa 55k Probably photographed shortly after completing her construction in late 1918.
    Naval Historical Center photo NH 65105
    Robert Hurst

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships History: Naiwa was built by the Baltimore Shipbuilding and Drydock Co., Baltimore, Md.; launched 4 July 1918; turned over to the Navy 10 September; commissioned at Baltimore 4 November; and assigned to NOTS on Army account.

    After refitting, Naiwa cleared Baltimore Harbor 27 November 1918 with a general cargo for France, but was forced to turn back because of steering gear malfunctions. Following repairs, she steamed from Norfolk, Va. 8 March 1919, arrived La Pallice 23 March, and then went on to Bordeaux where she discharged her cargo.

    Naiwa cleared Bordeaux 12 April and steamed to Brest, where she took on a cargo of German guns and gun parts. Arriving Norfolk 2 May, she decommissioned 9 May.


    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Civilian Identification Numbered Ships (ID) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History