Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Identification Numbered Vessel Photo Archive
Federal (ID 3657)
Civilian call sign (1919):
Love - Nan - Mike - Vice
Freighter:Built in 1918 by the Federal Shipbuilding Co, Kearney, NJAcquired by the Navy 15 November 1918 and commissioned USS Federal (ID 3657) the same dayDecommissioned, 17 June 1919 and returned to the United States Shipping Board (USSB)She remained in the hands of the USSB until 1937, then became the British freighter FederlockSeized on the China Seas 8 December 1941 by the Imperial Japanese Navy while on time charter to a Japanese ship operatorRenamed Hakusan MaruTorpedoed and sunk 11 June 1945 by USS Crevalle (SS 291).
Specifications:Displacement 13,130 t.Length 411' 6"Beam 55'Draft 27'Speed 11 kts.Complement 60Propulsion: Three oil-fired single ended boilers, one 2,500shp General Electric steam turbine, one shaft.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
||Photo from "U.S. Warships of World War One" by P. H. Silverstone
||Photographed on 27 October 1918 by her builder, Federal Shipbuilding Co., Kearny, NJ
National Archives photo from Shipscribe
||Probably photographed at the time of her completion and delivery to the Navy in mid-November 1918
Naval Historical Center photo NH 105202
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Federal, a cargo ship, was launched in 1918 by Federal Shipbuilding Co., Kearny, N.J.; acquired by the Navy 15 November 1918; and commissioned the following day, Lieutenant Commander A. [Arthur] W. Pratt, USNRF, in command.
Fitted to carry horses as well as general cargo, Federal transported both on her first voyage to France, 30 November 1918 to 27 January 1919. Her second voyage, 13 March to 30 April, was also with cargo for the Army, and she returned with soldier passengers. Between 8 May and 9 June, she made her last voyage in naval service, carrying hay and oats for relief activities in Europe. She was decommissioned 17 June 1919 and returned to the Shipping Board.
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|