Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

St. Johns (SP 3710)

Civilian call sign (1919):
Jig - Tare - Dog - Quack


  • Built in 1878 by Harlan and Hollingsworth, Wilmington, DE for the Commercial Navigation Co.
  • Acquired by the Navy 26 June 1917 and placed in service as USS St. Johns (SP 3710)
  • Decommissioned 10 June 1919, struck from the Navy Register and returned to her owner at Norfolk, VA
  • Renamed Bombay in 1927
  • Renamed Tolchester in 1933
  • Burned at her pier in 1941 at Baltimore, MD
  • Converted to a barge for hauling pulp wood
  • Abandoned in 1969 at South Norfolk, VA.


  • Displacement 1,098 t.
  • Length 250'
  • Beam 38'
  • Draft 9'
  • Speed 16 kts.
  • Complement 128
  • Propulsion: One 1,500hp steam engine, side wheeler.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Steamer St. Johns
    St. Johns 47k Courtesy of the Jacksonville Maritime Heritage Center, Jacksonville, Florida Tommy Trampp
    St. Johns 127k Hauled out of the water, possibly when inspected by the Fifth Naval District on 26 June 1917
    U.S. Navy photo NH 86379
    Naval Historical Center
    USS St. Johns (SP 3710)
    St. Johns 65k Underway during World War I, while serving as a liberty party boat. This photograph was possibly taken from USS Iowa (Battleship No. 4) in the Hampton Roads area, Virginia,
    in 1918
    Collection of Commander Haines H. Lippincott, USN (Chaplains Corps)
    U.S. Navy photo NH 101351
    Naval Historical Center

    View the St. Johns (SP 3710)
    DANFS history entry located on the Naval History and Heritage Command website
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by David Wright
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History