Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.


NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

West Elcajon (ID 3907)



Civilian call sign (1919):
Love - Pup - Quack - Jig

Freighter:

  • Built in 1918 by the Skinner and Eddy Corp., Seattle, WA
  • Acquired by the Navy 18 January 1919 and commissioned USS West Elcajon (ID 3907) the same day at the Puget Sound Navy Yard, Bremerton, WA
  • Decommissioned 26 May 1919 at New York and returned to the United States Shipping Board
  • Sold in 1928 to the Oceanic and Oriental Navigation Co. and renamed Golden Kauri
  • Sold in 1939 to the Matson Navigation Line and renamed Waipio
  • Sold in 1946 to the Compania Paralos de Vapores, S.A. of Panama and renamed Paralos II and remained in service until the mid-1950s
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 12,226 t.
  • Length 423' 9"
  • Beam 54'
  • Depth of hold 29' 9"
  • Draft 24' 2"
  • Speed 11.6 kts.
  • Complement 70
  • Armament: None
  • Propulsion: One 3,000ihp steam engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    West Elcajon 63k Launching ceremony, at the Skinner & Eddy shipyard, Seattle, Washington, circa late 1918.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 48484
    Naval Historical Center
    West Elcajon 72k Afloat soon after launching, at the Skinner & Eddy shipyard, Seattle, Washington, circa late 1918.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 65043
    West Elcajon 86k Fitting out at the Skinner & Eddy shipyard, Seattle, Washington, circa late 1918. Barge General Petroleum Co. No. 4 is in the right foreground.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 48485

    View the West Elcajon (ID 3907)
    DANFS history entry located on the Naval Historical Center web site
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Identification Numbered Vessel (ID) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History