Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive
Stephen R. Jones (ID 4526)
Civilian call sign (1919):
Love - Fox - Quack - Dog
Pierce Class Collier:Built in 1915 by the Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Co., Newport News, VADelivered 11 November 1915Acquired by the Navy 3 May 1918 at Philadelphia, PA and commissioned the same dayDecommissioned 8 March 1919 at Newport News, VA and returned to her owner, Crowell Thurlow of Boston, MAGrounded and wrecked 28 June 1942 in the Cape Cod Canal.
Specifications:Displacement 10,200 t.Length 354' 2"Beam 49'Draft 23'Speed 10 kts.Complement 71Armament: Two 3" mountsPropulsion: One 1,700ihp steam engine, one shaft.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
||Photographed before her Navy service wearing the funnel markings of her first owner, the Crowell & Thurlow Steamship Co.
Naval Historical Center photo NH 65059
||c. June 1942
Wrecked in the Cape Cod Canal
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Stephen R. Jones was built in 1915 by the Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Co., Newport News, Va. The ship was owned and operated by the Boston firm, Crowell Thurlow, as the cargo ship SS Stephen R. Jones. She was acquired by the Navy at Philadelphia, Pa., on 3 May 1918 and commissioned as a Naval Overseas Transportation Service ship. She was immediately refitted for naval service; loaded with a cargo of Army supplies; and ordered to Norfolk.
Stephen R. Jones joined a convoy at Hampton Roads and sailed for France on the 18th. She arrived at Brest on 5 June but, due to the congestion of shipping there, was routed to Bordeaux to off-load her cargo. She returned to Philadelphia on 10 July; loaded supplies, and returned to St. Nazaire on 18 August. After unloading, she moved to Le Verdon for ballast and departed there with a convoy on 25 August bound for Philadelphia. The cargo ship made two more round trips to France and arrived at Philadelphia from the latter on 3 March 1919.
Stephen R. Jones was routed to Virginia; and, on 8 March 1919, she was decommissioned and returned to her owner at Newport News.
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|