Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Lighthouse Tender Photo Archive

Joseph Henry


River Tender:

  • Built in 1880 by James Howard Shipyard and Dock Co., Jeffersonville, Indiana
  • Sold in 1903 to Bluff City Excursion Co. of Bluff City, TN and renamed Louisiana
  • Sold in 1906 and renamed Pattona
  • Wrecked and sank in 1914 near Memphis, TN.

    Specifications:

  • Length 180'
  • Beam 32'
  • Draft 5' 10"
  • Propulsion: Two boilers, two steam engines, one stern paddle wheel.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Joseph Henry
    Joseph Henry 65k
    Namesake:

    Joseph Henry (1797-1878) was a famous scientist, the first director of the Smithsonian Institution, and a member of the Lighthouse Board. He joined that august body in 1852. He became the chairman in 1871 and held that position, the only civilian to do so, until 1878. He was also known for laying the groundwork for the formation of the U.S. Weather Bureau

    Joe Radigan
    Joseph Henry 121k Memphis, TN
    Photo from University of Wisconsin-Madison Digital Library
    John Spivey
    Louisiana
    Joseph Henry 111k St. Louis, MO Joe Radigan
    Pattona
    Joseph Henry 367k Memphis, TN Joe Radigan

    Coast Guard History: The Joseph Henry was built by Howard and Company of Jeffersonville, Indiana as a replacement for the tender Alice. She was a 453-ton, 180-foot side paddle wheeled steamer. Her hull was made of white oak. The steam launch Ivy was assigned to her for use in shallow water. The Joseph Henry had incandescent lighting installed throughout the ship in August, 1888, powered by a steam generator.

    She was first assigned to duty in the 15th Lighthouse District and was based out of Memphis. In January, 1881, she was assigned to the newly created 16th Lighthouse District. She was known during her Lighthouse Service career as the "Joe Henry."

    She was condemned in 1900 but still served for four more years when she was sold. Her replacement was the tender Oleander. The Joseph Henry eventually saw service as the passenger vessel Pattona, operating until 1916.


    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Lighthouse Tender Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History