Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Revenue Cutter Photo Archive

USLHS Shubrick
ex-USRC Shubrick
ex-USS Shubrick
ex-USRC Shubrick
ex-USLHS Shubrick

Shubrick served the U. S. Lighthouse Service, U.S. Revenue Cutter Service and the U.S. Navy

Lighthouse Tender:

  • The first Shubrick was built in 1857 by the Philadelphia Navy Yard, Pennsylvania
  • Commissioned USLHS Shubrick 25 November 1857
  • Transferred to the Revenue Cutter Service 23 August 1861
  • Commissioned USRC Shubrick 15 October 1861
  • Acquired by the Navy 15 February 1865
  • Returned to the Revenue Cutter Service
  • Returned to the Lighthouse Board 24 December 1866
  • Decommissioned in January 1886
  • Sold 20 March 1886 at Astoria OR
  • Her new owner ran her aground and stripped her of usable material and then burnt her hull to recover all of her copper and metal fittings.


  • Displacement 350 t.
  • Length 140' 8"
  • Beam 22' 6"
  • Draft 9'
  • Speed 12 kts.
  • Armament: One 24-pounder Dahlgren gun on a swivel carriage and one 12-pounder
  • Propulsion: One boiler, one 284bhp single-expansion "harp and steeple" steam engine, two 19' diameter paddle wheels.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Shubrick 559k The first steam powered Lighthouse Tender. The side wheel steamer Shubrick, first Lighthouse tender on the West Coast. This unique vessel was constructed in 1857 and served as supply ship, buoy tender and Revenue Cutter for 29 years. The 140 foot long ship was named for the first Chairman of the Lighthouse Board, Commodore W. B. Shubrick, USN
    National Park Service photo
    Tommy Trampp
    Shubrick 625k The U.S. Revenue Steamer Shubrick anchored in the Sacramento, near Rio Vista, CA
    Photo from The Illustrated London News, 29 March 1862
    Subrick 45k U.S. Lighthouse Service photo John Spivey
    Photo added 1 August 2021

    View the Shubrick
    DANFS history entry located on the Naval History and Heritage Command website

    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Revenue Cutter Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by David Wright
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History