Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

USCGC Larkspur (WAGL 226)



Call sign:
Nan - Roger - Xray - Fox

ex-USLHT Larkspur



Call sign (1919):
George - Vice - Pup - Mike

Lighthouse Tender:

  • The second Larkspur was built in 1903 by the Staten Island Shipbuilding Co., Port Richmond, NY
  • Commissioned USLHT Larkspur 24 February 1903
  • Acquired by the Navy 11 April 1917
  • Returned to the Department of Commerce 1 July 1919
  • Laid up in June 1933
  • Transferred to the Coast Guard in 1939 and designated USCGC Larkspur (WAGL 226)
  • Decommissioned 10 January 1946 at Curtis Bay, MD
  • Sold 19 February 1947 to W. B. Fountain
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 888 t.
    1919 - 685 t.
  • Length 169' 2"
  • Length between perpendiculars 162'
  • Beam 30'
  • Draft 10' 6"
    1919 - 14'
  • Speed 12 kts.
  • Complement 29
    1919 - 30
    1945 - 41
  • Armament: None
    World War II - Two 20mm mounts and one short depth charge track
  • Propulsion: Two water tube express boilers, two 375ihp vertical inverted compound fore and aft express steam engines, two shafts
    Converted from coal to oil burning in 1938.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Larkspur 141k 29 June 1943
    Photo from "U.S. Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840-1939" by Douglas Peterson. Annapolis: Eastwind Publishing, 2000
    Robert Hurst

    View the Larkspur
    DANFS history entry located on the Naval History and Heritage Command website
    and
    the Coast Guard history entry located on the Coast Guard Cutter History website

    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Unnumbered Ships Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History