Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

USCGC Sunflower (WAGL 247)



Call sign:
Nan - Roger - Xray - Jig

ex-USLHS Sunflower



Call sign (1924):
Nan - Unit - Fox - Mike


Call sign (1919):
George - Vice - Rush - Boy

Lighthouse Tender:

  • The second Sunflower was built in 1906 by Pusey and Jones, Wilmington, DE
  • Launched 4 August 1906
  • Delivered 23 March 1907 and commissioned USLHS Sunflower
  • Transferred to the War Department 24 April 1917
  • Acquired by the Navy
  • Returned to the Department of Commerce 1 July 1919
  • Transferred to the Coast Guard in 1939 and designated USCGC Sunflower (WAGL 247)
  • Decommissioned 10 January 1946 at Curtis Bay, MD
  • Sold 19 February 1947
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 1,246 t.
    1919 - 728 t.
  • Length 173' 7"
  • Length between perpendiculars 163'
  • Beam 31'
  • Draft 15' 6"
    1919 - 15'
  • Speed 12 kts.
  • Complement 1907 - 32
    1945 - 42
  • Armament: None
    World War I - Two 3"/23 mounts and two machine guns
    World War II - One 20mm mount and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two Babcock and Wilcox Scotch type coal-fired water tube boilers, two 450ihp triple expansion steam engines, two shafts
    Converted from coal to oil burning in 1931.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Sunflower 157k 29 June 1943
    Photo from "U.S. Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840-1939" by Douglas Peterson. Annapolis: Eastwind Publishing, 2000
    Robert Hurst

    View the Sunflower
    DANFS history entry located on the Naval History and Heritage Command website
    and
    the Coast Guard history entry located on the Coast Guard Cutter History website

    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Unnumbered Ships Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History