Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

USCGC Pequot (WARC 58)



Call sign:
Nan - Roger - Fox - Queen

USRC Pequot



Call sign (1924):
Nan - Unit - Pup - Jig

USRC Pequot
USAMP General Samuel M. Mills


Revenue Cutter/Cable Layer:

  • The third Pequot was laid down in 1908 for the Army as USAMP General Samuel M. Mills by American Brown Boveri Electrical Corp., Camden, NJ (later New York Shipbuilding Corp.)
  • Launched 13 February 1909
  • Acquired by the Coast Guard 29 April 1922
  • Renamed Pequot 1 May 1922 and commissioned USCGC Pequot the same day
  • Transferred to the Navy 1 November 1941
  • Returned to the Coast Guard 1 January 1946
  • Decommissioned 5 December 1946
  • Sold for scrap 5 September 1947 to Potomac Shipwrecking Co., Inc. of Popes Creek, MD.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 960 t.
  • Length 166' 6"
  • Beam 32' 6"
  • Draft 13' 3"
  • Speed 13.5 kts.
  • Complement 53 (1938)
  • Armament: 1938 - None. 1945 - Two 20mm mounts
  • Propulsion: Two Foster-Wheeler boilers, two compound expansion steam engines, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Pequot 64k . Robert Hurst
    Pequot 57k .
    Pequot 537k c. 1940
    During WWII this cable ship laid top secret Indicator Loop cables to protect harbors from German U-boats. Her mission ranged from the ports of Virginia up to Argentia, Newfoundland, Canada
    Photo courtesy of the Calamaio family. Special thanks to Chip Calamaio for his kind assistance
    Bill Gonyo
    Pequot 454k c. 1945
    Constitution Wharf, Boston Coast Guard Base
    Here we can clearly see the wear and tear on her bow and hull from hard years at sea during World War II
    Photo courtesy of the Calamaio family. Special thanks to Chip Calamaio for his kind assistance
    Pequot 51k An anti-submarine indicator loop was a submerged cable laid on the sea bed and used to detect the passage of enemy submarines. Developed by the Royal Navy during World War I, they were extensively used by the Allies during World War II to protect harbors against submarine attack. They worked as induction loops the submarine's magnetism induced a current in the cable as the submarine passed across it. The technology was first developed and trialed at the British Admiralty's Board of Investigation and Research at Harwich on the Essex coast in England. The first operational use was at the Grand Fleet's anchorage at Scapa Flow. The German submarine UB-116 was detected by hydrophones at 21:21 on 28 October 1918 attempting to enter the flow via Hoxa Sound. Two hours later (at 23:32) current was detected in an indicator loop laid in a remotely controlled minefield, induced by the submarine as it passed over the cables. Mines around the loop were detonated by remote control, sinking the submarine. It was the last U-boat destroyed by enemy action before the Armistice. After the war, indicator loop devices were further developed by the Admiralty's research divisions at HMS Vernon and HMS Osprey (Portland Naval Base). In WWII indicator loops were used by the Allies for harbor defense in the UK and its dominions and protectorates, as well as by the U.S. Navy

    Commanding Officers
    ??LT Lars Anton Sande, USCG25 May 1943 - 16 June 1945
    ??LT William P. Butler, USCG16 June 1945
    Courtesy Wolfgang Hechler and Ron Reeves

    View the
    Pequot history entry located on the Coast Guard Cutter History website

    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Unnumbered Ships Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History