George - Have - Fox - Watch
Nan - Able - Cast - George
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
|229k||Original photo: Photo from the 1914 edition of Jane's Fighting Ships
Replacement photo: c. 1903
Photo from "U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft of World War II" by Robert L. Scheina
A word from the Massachusett's Native American tribe meaning "good spring nearby."
Wissahickon was a 182-ton, 96' 6"-foot harbor tug, one of two Winnisimmet-class tugs built by the Spedden Company in Baltimore, Maryland, the other being Winnisimmet. Winnisimmet was a 182-ton, 96' 6"-foot harbor tug, one of two Winnisimmet-class tugs built by the Spedden Company in Baltimore, Maryland, the other being the Wissahickon. Winnisimmet was launched on 11 October 1902 and was completed on 30 July 1903. She was placed under the command of Captain George H. Gooding, USRCS, and was ordered to Boston, Massachusetts.
She was transferred to the Navy on 6 April 1917 and was returned to Treasury Department control on 28 August 1919. She was then assigned to Baltimore, Maryland, where she served until 1932 when she was transferred to Norfolk, Virginia. She remained in service there for the rest of her service career, including World War II. She was decommissioned in October, 1945 and was sold on 22 July 1946.
|Back to the Main Photo Index||Back to the Unnumbered Ships Photo Index|
|Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster|
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|