Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

USLHS Maple



Call sign (1924):
Nan - Able - Pup - Vice


Call sign (1919):
George - Vice - Nan - Sail

ex-USS Maple
ex-USLHS Maple
ex-USS Maple
ex-USLHS Maple

Maple served both the U. S. Navy and the Lighthouse Service.


Lighthouse Tender:

  • The first Maple was built in 1893 by Samuel L. Moore and Sons, Elizabethport, NJ
  • Delivered 26 May 1893
  • Acquired by the Navy upon completion and commissioned USS Maple in June 1893
  • During the Spanish-American War she operated with the blockading forces off Cuba until 20 September 1898, during which she was cited by the Navy for "Conspicuous Service"
  • Returned to the Lighthouse Service 6 February 1899 and placed in service as USLHS Maple
  • Reacquired by the Navy 11 April 1917
  • Placed in service as USS Maple, 1 November 1918
  • Returned to the Lighthouse Service 1 July 1919
  • Decommissioned in 1933
  • Sold 29 October 1933 to the McLain Caroline Line, Inc. of New York, NY, converted to a barge and renamed McLain No. 300 and Nichols No. 6
  • Dismantled in 1949.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 799 t.
    1919 - 392 t.
  • Length 164'
  • Length between perpendiculars 155'
  • Beam 30'
  • Draft 11' 10"
    1919 - 7' 3"
    1919 - 12'
  • Complement 26
    1919 - 30
  • Armament: None
    1919 - Two guns
  • Propulsion: Two Scotch coal fired boilers, two 325ihp compound fore and aft steam engines, two shafts
    Boilers replaced in 1901
    Engines removed in 1933.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Maple 111k At the Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Virginia, 9 May 1898. The receiving ship USS Franklin is in the background.
    Naval Historical Center photo from the Bureau of Ships Collection in the National Archives
    National Archives photo 19-N-19-22-3
    Robert Hurst
    Maple 71k At the Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Virginia, 9 May 1898.
    Naval Historical Center photo from the Bureau of Ships Collection in the National Archives
    National Archives photo 19-N-19-22-4
    Robert Hurst
    Maple 77k USS Standish possibly in the Severn River, off the U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland, with a steam launch alongside. Standish was a station tug at the Naval Academy from about 1880 through the First World War. Maple is in the left background.
    Photograph received from the Office of Naval Intelligence, 1936. Photo dated 1899.
    U.S. Navy photo NR&L(O) 12613
    Naval Historical Center

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships:

    Maple

    The trees or shrubs of the Aceraceae family with opposite leaves and a fruit of two united samaras or winged seeds. The hard, light-colored, close-grained wood of maple is used for flooring and furniture, and its sap for maple syrup.

    Maple, a tender, was built in 1893 at Elizabethport, N.J.; transferred to the Navy from the U.S. Lighthouse Service 11 April 1917; and placed in service 1 November 1918.

    Assigned to the 5th Naval District, Maple performed patrol duties off Norfolk, Va., until 1 July 1919 when she was returned to the U.S. Lighthouse Service, again under the Department of Commerce. After service as Nichols No. 6, the tender was renamed McLain No. 300 for duty with the McLain Caroline Line, Inc., New York, N.Y., through 1948.


    View the Maple
    Coast Guard history entry located on the Coast Guard Cutter website

    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Unnumbered Vessels Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History