Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.


NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive

<

USCGC White Sumac (WLM-540)
ex
USCGC White Sumac (WAGL-540) (1947 - 1968)
USS YF-416 (1944 - 1946)


USCGC White Sumac - International Radio Call Sign:
November - Alpha - November - Alpha
NARA

USS YF-416 was transferred to the US Coast Guard after World War II, named USCGC White Sumac (WAGL-540) later transferred to the Dominican Republic renamed Capotillo (BA-2)

Awards, Citations and Campaign Ribbons

Precedence of awards is from left to right
American Campaign Medal - World War II Victory Medal


YF-257 Class Self-propelled Covered Lighter:
  • Laid down in 1942, at Niagara Shipbuilding Co. in Buffalo, N.Y.
  • Launched in 1943
  • Placed in service as YF-416, 6 November 1943, allocated to the 3rd Naval District
  • Placed out of service in 1946
  • Acquired by the US Coast Guard in 1946
  • Struck from the Naval Register, 17 July 1947
  • Commissioned, as the Coastal Buoy Tender USCGC White Sumac (WAGL-540), 19 September 1947, at Charleston, S.C.
  • Redesignated (WLM-540), 1968
  • Decommissioned, 1 August 2002
  • Transferred to the Dominican Republic, renamed Capotillo (BA-2)
  • Current Disposition, active in service
    Specifications:
    Displacement 600 t.
    Length 132' 10"
    Beam 30'
    Draft 8' 9" max.
    Speed 10.5 kts.
    Range 2,830 mile range at 7.5 kts. (1948)
    Armament none
    Complement USCG - 1 Warrant Officer, 20 Enlisted (1948)
    Propulsion
    As Built - Diesel, twin screws
    1974 - Diesel electric; 2 x direct-reversible 06 Union Diesel engines, 600 BHP
    twin propellers
    3 rudders (as launched)
    2 x Caterpillar D-353-E Diesel engines
    < <
    Click On Image
    For Full Size Image
    Size Image Description Contributed By
    USCGC White Sumac (WAGL-540 / WLM-540)
    YF-416 119k Port quarter stern view USCGC White Sumac (WAGL-540) underway near the US Naval Shipyard Charleston, S.C., 24 May 1948. Originally commissioned USS YF-416, the ship was acquired by the Coast Guard in 1948 and converted to a Coastal Buoy Tender. Note the paint scheme and the canopy over the stern turtle deck.
    Photo from the collections of the US Library of Congress, HAER LA-14-44.
    Mike Green
    YF-416 43k USCGC White Sumac (WLM-540) at anchor as Coast Guard and Navy divers assemble on the deck of the buoy tender to prepare to dive on the sunken cutter USCGC Blackthorn (WLB-391). Blackthorn sunk at the mouth of Tampa Bay, 28 January 1980.
    US Coast Guard photo.
    US Coast Guard Historian's Office
    YF-416 136k overhead bow view of USCGC White Sumac (WLM-540) underway. The cutter is preparing to launch a work boat using her buoy crane.
    Library of Congress, Photo No. HAER-LA-14-48
    Mike Green
    YF-416
    HAER LA-14-4
    157k USCGC White Sumac (WLM-540) moored at U.S. Coast Guard 8th District Base, New Orleans, LA.
    Library of Congress, Photo No. HAER LA-14-4 and Library of Congress Photo No. HAER-LA-14-53 (CT)
    Mike Green
    YF-416
    HAER LA-14-53 (CT)
    158k

    There is no DANFS history for YF-416 available at NavSource
    Crew Contact And Reunion Information
    U.S. Navy Memorial Foundation - Navy Log

    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    U.S. Coast Guard Historian's Office - White Sumac, 1947 WAGL / WLM-540; YF-416

    Back to the Navsource Photo Archives Main Page Back To the Service Craft Type Index Back To The Covered Lighter (Self-propelled) (YF) Photo Index
    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster.
    This page is created and maintained by Gary P. Priolo
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History
    Last Updated 27 February 2015