Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.


NavSource Online: Army Ship Photo Archive


USAMP Lt. COL. Ellery W. Niles


Awards, Citations and Campaign Ribbons

Precedence of awards is from left to right
Top Row - American Defense Service Medal - American Campaign Medal - World War II Victory Medal


Mine Planter:
  • Built in 1936-37 for the U.S. Army Quartermaster Department by by Pusey and Jones Shipbuilding Co, Wilmington,DE.
  • Launched, 22 July 1937
  • Named in honor of Lt. Col. Ellery W. Niles, a former mine planter commander and the chief of war plans in the Office of the Chief of Coast Artillery when he passed away in 1929
  • Capt. Rodney C. Jones, USA, assigned as commanding officer 1 May 1937
  • Accepted for service and commissioned by the Quartermaster Corps in July 1937, assigned to the U.S. Army Coast Artillery Corps, Mine Planter Service
  • Assigned to the Coast Defenses of San Francisco while stationed at Fort Du Pont, DE., during outfitting and initial shakedown period
  • Departed Fort Du Pont in January 1938 en route for Fort Monroe, VA.
  • Arrived back at Fort Du Pont via the Army Supply Base, Brooklyn, in March 1938
  • Departed Fort Du Pont in May 1938 en route for Fort Baker, CA, via the Panama Canal
  • Arrived at Fort Winfield Scott, CA., in June 1938
  • On arrival, additional personnel were transferred to the Niles from the decommissioned USAMP Col. George Armistead
  • Typically docked at the mine wharf at Fort Winfield Scott until 1939 when Niles was moved to a new mine wharf built at Fort Baker across San Francisco Bay
  • On detached service to Fort Rosecrans, CA., in January 1939 to conduct training with the Harbor Defenses of San Diego
  • On detached service to Fort Amador, C.Z., in June 1940 for mining operations with the Harbor Defenses of Balboa
  • In coordination with USAMP Gen. William M. Graham, in June-August 1940 Niles installed the wartime minefields that protected the Panama Canal Zone during World War II
  • Decommissioned, date unknown
  • Sold after World War II, renamed R/VF. V. Hunt and served as an acoustical research ship in the Bahamas; operating as the Cayman Salvage Master in the Cayman Islands as of the mid-1980s
  • Final Disposition, reefed in 1985
    Specifications:
    Displacement 840 t. (gross)
    Length 185'
    Beam 35'
    Draft 15'
    Speed unknown
    Armament one 40mm gun
    Complement
    Officers, unknown
    Enlisted, twelve
    Civilian, unknown
    Cruise Radius unknown
    Fuel Capacities unknown
    Propulsion
    three engines. Diesel-electric drive
    three shafts, 1,120 shp

    Click On Image
    For Full Size Image
    Size Image Description Source
    Lt. Col. Ellery W. Niles 18k USAMP Lt. Col. Ellery W. Niles launching, Pusey & Jones, Wilmington,DE. in 1937 Ramon Jackson
    Lt. Col. Ellery W. Niles 47k USAMP Lt. Col. Ellery W. Niles under way, date and location unknown. US National Archives photo, a US Army Signal Corps photo
    Lt. Col. Ellery W. Niles 55k USAMP Lt. Col. Ellery W. Niles under way, date and location unknown. US National Archives photo, a US Army Signal Corps photo
    Lt. Col. Ellery W. Niles 24k R/V F.V. Hunt ex-USAMP Lt. Col. Ellery W. Niles moored pierside, date and location unknown. Ramon Jackson

    The history for USAMP LT. Col. Ellery W. Niles is from US Army Order of Battle 1919-1941 Vol. 2
    Commanding Officers
    01 Capt. Rodney C. Jones, USA1 May 1937 - 7 July 1937
    02 Maj. Samuel Rubin, USA31 August 1937 - August 1940
    US Army Order of Battle 1919-1941 Vol. 2

    Back To The Navsource Photo Archives Main Page Back To The US Army Ship Index Back To The US Army Mine Planter Index
    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster.
    This page is created and maintained by Gary P. Priolo
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History
    Last Updated the Week of 8 March 2019