Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Naval History

FAQ, Frequently Asked Questions

How Can I Find A Copy Of My (Or A Relatives) Service Record.

The very 1st thing you need here is his (or now her) service number and rating. If you do not have this information you will not be able to make the request. If you know the name and date he was assigned to vessel, you can obtain a copy of the crew rosters See FAQ #2 for that vessel, the Name, Rate and Service Number can be found in the roster. After you locate his rate and service number from the roster you need to fill out the following form (Attached) and make your request for his service record to the address below. (note) You must be the service person in question or if deceased, service person's next of kin.

Department of the Navy
Bureau of Naval Personnel
Attn: PERS313C1 REC
2 Navy Annex
Washington, D.C. 29370-3130
Phone: (703) 614-2983

The form is in .PDF format, you will need ADOBE ACROBAT READER to view and print this form.
If you do not have this plug in, you can download and install it for free from various sources,
I prefer

If you already have ACROBAT READER installed
Click this link to open and view form

To download the form, right click on link and select "save as" and save to desired directory.
After saving you can open form and print it, completely fill out for and mail to addres above.

After you complete the form and submit it to the address above you will be notified in writing if your request has been granted or denied, These records are confidential and the decision to release them or not resides with the USN.

Back To The NavSource Main Page
Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

This page was created by Paul R. Yarnall
All pages copyright NavSource Naval History