Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Amphibious Photo Archive

LCI(L)-226 / LCI(R)-226

Timeline for LCI 226

Timeline for LCI 226

This is a partial timeline for LCI 226. The main sources were the records of Harry D. Salisbury (MOMM 2/C, Dec 14, 1942 to Aug, 1944), and those of Arden L. Hunt (SM 3/C, July 20, 1944 to April 13, 1945).

Dec. 14, 1942, George Lawley shipyards, Boston, Mass. – LCI(L) 226 was commissioned. Crew No. 3068 (27 enlisted men and 3 commissioned officers) was assigned to her with Ensign Henry Turney McKnight as her first skipper. Left Boston and headed for New York.

Dec. 14+ Boston ® Cape Cod Bay ® Cape Cod Canal ® Buzzards Bay ® Long Island Sound ® East River ("she skidded through New York’s Hell Gate in a winter storm and on a rip tide, without a pilot") ® New York City, Brooklyn Navy Yard.

Dec. 25 to Jan. 1, 1943 – Manhattan Island, New York through Ambrose Channel out of New York where she sideswiped another ship during the blackout at night. Ran aground in the channel at Cape May, New Jersey. Delaware Bay ® Delaware River ® Chesapeake & Delaware Canal ® Wolf Bay in an ice flow ® Chesapeake Bay. Anchored off Annapolis, Maryland. Annapolis ® Sandy Point ® Cove Point ® Solomons, Maryland.

January, 1943 – Large-scale training operations in Chesapeake Bay

Jan. 30 – Smashed a Coast Guard boat while leaving dock and then ran aground off old Fort McHenry, Baltimore, Maryland. Baltimore ® Little Creek, Virginia.

Feb. 6 – Left Norfolk, Virginia, passed by Cape Henry, and headed out into the Atlantic Ocean in a Flotilla bound for Panama City, Florida.

Feb. 7 – In the foggy morning, we got separated from the Flotilla and ran into a big storm off of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina. With 3 other LCI’s, headed for Florida.

Feb. 9 – Course: 235Ί True. Maintained darkened ship every night.

Feb. 10 – Rejoined main body of the Flotilla near Palm Beach, Florida. Continued south and then west into the Straights of Florida, then received new orders to go through the Yucatan Channel and continue on southeast to the Panama Canal.

Feb. 16 – Arrived 0519. Docked at Mount Hope, Colón, Canal Zone.

Feb. 18 – Being towed by the USS Apache.

Feb. 25 – Passed through the Panama Canal to Balboa. Course changed to 208Ί T. at 2325.

Feb. 26 – Left Panama Bay and headed for Borabora, French Polynesia in the Pacific Ocean.

Feb. 28 – Course: 265Ί. General Quarters (G.Q.) called each dusk and dawn.

Mar. 5 – Set Condition II (Watch and Watch)

Mar. 6-16 – Course: from 252Ί to 260Ί T. Speed: from 8.5 to 9 knots.

Mar. 19 – Arrived at Borabora, French Polynesia.

Mar. 27 – Left Borabora and headed for American Samoa. Course: 248Ί T. Speed: 10.

Mar. 28 – Passed Wapikaa Island about 0500 on starboard side.

Apr. 1 – Arrived at Pago Pago, Tutuila, American Samoa.

Apr. 2 – Harry Salisbury was injured (got a large cut on his head requiring stitches) while servicing the 20 MM anti-aircraft gun with George Postlethwait.

Apr. 4 – Left Pago Pago and headed for Suva, Fiji Islands. Course: 231Ί T. Speed: 10.

Apr. 5 – Crossed the International Date Line at 0500 (now Apr. 6) in convoy of 15 LCI’s, 4 LST’s, and 2 Mine Sweepers. Course: 256Ί T. Speed: 10.

Apr. 8 – Arrived this morning in Suva Harbor, Fiji. Someone from deck gang stole a little fox terrier dog to join the crew.

Apr. 12 – Left Suva and headed for Nouméa, New Caledonia.

Apr. 14 – Course: 240Ί +/- Speed: 12.

Apr. 15 – Arrived at Nouméa, New Caledonia. The dog abandoned ship, never to be seen again.

Apr. 20 – Left Nouméa and headed for Sydney, Australia.

Apr. 20-25, 1943 – Five days of monsoon weather while crossing the Tasman Sea. All but three were sick.

Apr. 25 (Easter Sunday) – Arrived this morning at Port Jackson, Sydney, Australia. Moored at Woolloomooloo Docks.

May – Several men joined the crew while in Australia including Walter Bruce.

May 13 – At Port Stevens, Australia. Practiced beaching 13 times.

May 14 – Practiced beaching 16 to 18 times.

May 15 – Had ship’s inspection by a Commander. Port side went on weekend liberty.

May 17 – Beached a few times with Australian troops and then went south to Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia. Starboard side went on liberty and got drunk.

May 18 – Left Newcastle at 0830 and returned to Port Stevens. Very rough sea.

May 19 – Prepared to get underway at 0400 in blowing rain and very rough sea to try to tow LCI 227 off the beach where she washed ashore and was left by the tide. The bow anchor got caught in the coral and the anchor cable broke trying to pull it free.

May 20 – Fixed a towing bridle for towing LCI 227 off the beach.

May 22 – Had Captain’s inspection.

May 24 – Took on 54 men to transport north. LCI 227 still stuck high and dry on the beach.

May 25 – Left Port Stevens at 0730. Very rough sea. LCI 228 dropped out of convoy.

May 26 – Traveling north. Passed Cape Byron at 1254.

May 27 – Arrived at Toorbul Point, Queensland, Australia.

May 29 – Crewmen Swidwa and Frank Harris are "still AWOL".

May 30 – Original crewmen John Tatro, Andrew Shubin, and Steve Sirinedes, and replacement Walter Bruce were transferred to the USS H.T. Allen.

May 31 – Went to Redcliffe to take on water. Some crewmen got liberty.

June 3-20 – Went to Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and was there for a couple of weeks. Secured alongside the USS Rigel for repairs.

June 13 – O. Landon Miles replaced Russell C. Oakes as E.O.

June 21 – Entered Peters Slip, dry dock.

June 28 – En route from Brisbane to Cairns, Australia in task force. Passed Barren Island on starboard side about 2000. Course: 309 Speed: 9 +/-

June 28 to mid-July – Brisbane ® Townsville ® Cairns, Australia. Starboard gear box went out and arrived at Cairns a day and a half after the task force. Beached the ship to look at the screws while tide was out. Could not get off beach. An LCT snapped a 6" manila line and the next day a tug tried unsuccessfully. Tried for 3 or 4 nights at high tide before getting her off the beach.

July 1 – O. Landon Miles made Lieutenant JG.

July 24 – Only have 3 engines running out of the 8.

Early July to Aug 19 – Six weeks in Cairns, Australia getting repairs and training with Australian troops.

Aug 19-25 – Cairns, Australia ® Milne Bay, New Guinea, very rough trip. Transported amphibious scouts under the command of Lt. Frank Merideth.

Late August – The deck gang painted a pair of alligator jaws at the bow.

Late August – Transported some natives, American sailors, Aussie officers, the amphibious scouts, and supplies to Kola Bay, Fergusson Island, which is a gasoline dump for PT boats. Returned to Milne Bay the next morning. Returned too late to go on the first landings at Lae, New Guinea (where LCI’s 339 & 341 were hit by bombs – LCI 339 was lost). The USS Rigel is our flag ship.

Sep. 5 – Picked up some Aussie troops (9th Army – called "The Rats of Tobruk" in Africa) in Buna, New Guinea to take to Lae.

Sep. 6 – D Day + 2 at Lae, New Guinea. Operating with destroyers Flusser and Henley. Going into Red beach, LCI 224 slowed down and we hit her in the stern. Landed troops at 0130. The beachhead was already secured so no enemy fire. The 11th Airborne Paratroopers were dropped behind our landing there. Then returned to Milne Bay.

Sep. 15, 1943 – Went to Salamaua, New Guinea and brought back Aussie troops (6th Army) that had been in New Guinea for 11 months. Went to Buna.

Sep. 16 – William I. Harned replaced Benjamin C. Florey as X.O.

Sep. 21 – Left Buna and picked up Aussie troops (9th Army) at Lae to take to Finschhafen.

Sep. 22 – D Day at Finschhafen, New Guinea. Called to battle stations at 0400. Destroyers shelled the beach nicely beforehand. At 0440, the LCI’s followed the small boats in to the beach, firing at the beach on the way in, and disembarked troops. Jap sniper fire and mortar fire were very heavy. Three LCI’s lost their ramps on the beach and a couple were hit by enemy fire. We were fired upon by a plane. Returned to Buna with some wounded Aussies.

Sep. 24 – Went to Salamaua and picked up some American troops (41st Division) and brought them back to Oro Bay.

Sep. 27 – Left Buna at 1215, went to Oro Bay. Picked up some sailors and officers to take to Milne Bay.

Oct. 1 – Left Oro Bay and went to Milne Bay.

Oct. 16 – Left Milne Bay and went up to Goodenough Bay. Went into beach and talked with the natives.

Oct. 18 – Returned to Milne Bay and just as we arrived, were ordered to go to Buna.

Oct. 19 – Left Buna at 0500 and went to Lae.

Oct. 20-24 – Took troops from Lae to Langemak Bay which is just south of Finschhafen, and disembarked them around 0400. On return to Lae, we were fired upon by a plane. Stood G.Q. 0400 to 1000. Proceeded to Milne Bay. Left Milne Bay and went to Good Enough Bay.

Oct. 26 – Left Good Enough Bay and went to Cape Sudest which is near Oro Bay.

Oct. 27 – Left Cape Sudest at 0730 in the rain.

November – Was made flag ship of Group 19 (in Flotilla 7) for awhile.

Dec. 24 – At 1800, went to a nearby cape and picked up 210 U.S. Marines (veterans of Guadalcanal) and an Alsatian Shepard dog, trained to sniff out Japs 100 yards away.

Dec. 26 – D Day at Cape Gloucester, New Britain. At first light the beach was bombed from the air and shelled by cruisers, destroyers, and the new "rocket ships". Fog and smoke for about one mile, visibility was zero. Then the LCI’s went in and disembarked the troops in waist-deep water.

Dec. 27 – O. Landon Miles replaced Henry T. McKnight as the skipper and Benjamin C. Florey (who was replaced by William I. Harned on September 16) was brought back as E.O.

Jan. 1, 1944 – Went to Cape Sudest, New Guinea.

Jan. 5 – Took some Aussies to Cape Cretin.

Jan. 9 – Made two trips to Good Enough Island for practice landings.

Feb. 2 – Picked up Navy and Army personnel from the USS Rigel to take on leave.

Feb. 3 – At Milne Bay, New Guinea

Feb. 4 to mid-March – Took the men going on leave to Sydney, Australia where we stayed a couple weeks on leave, and then returned to New Guinea. It was a fairly rough trip going down and a very rough trip coming back, running into a storm on our last night out.

Mar. 1 – O. Landon Miles was made Division Commander (there are now 6 LCI’s in our division).

Mar. 24 – Harry Salisbury tore a 3-inch gash under his left arm requiring 4 stitches. Paul Fitzgerald went back to the hospital.

Mar. 25 – Brendel went to the hospital.

Mar. 26-28 – Trained with troops.

Mar. 28 – Paul Fitzgerald returned from the hospital.

Apr. 7 – Picked up troops at Cape Cretin in the morning to take to Lae to practice landings. Port propeller pitch broke down and had to turn back. Went alongside LST 453 and got the pitch to 44".

Apr. 20-22 – Took U.S. Army troops (1st Battalion, 186th Infantry) up to the Admiralty Islands and gave them a few hours on shore before hitting Hollandia. Ran into a storm on the way to Hollandia.

Apr. 22 – D Day at Hollandia, New Guinea. Landed the troops, leading the second wave of LCI’s at Red Beach. We were covered by carrier planes. O. Landon Miles and others went ashore, found Jap headquarters before the Army did, and gathered souvenirs.

Apr. 23, 1944 – Escorted an Army tug at 4 knots to Aitape (some escort: we only had three 20 MM guns).

Apr. 29 – Frank Harris, Leach, and Delmar Spears left the crew to return to the States.

May 27 – D Day at Biak Island. Landed U.S. Army troops (163rd Infantry) at Bosnik Bay. We were in the first wave (instead of the second wave) at the end of rock jetty because the small boats and tanks had landed one mile away. Luckily, B-24’s had bombed the 6" guns at the end of the jetty. Heavy opposition from the beach.

Early June – Took reinforcements to Biak Island 3 days ahead of schedule.

June through August – Went to Bostrem Bay (Alexishafen), New Guinea for rest, repairs, and running shuttle trips. Also escorted some more tugs to Aitape.

June 22 – Left Humboldt Bay (Hollandia) and went to Bostrem Bay (Alexishafen) for general repairs.

July 19 – Arrived this evening in Bostrem Bay (Alexishafen). There are about 30 LCI’s with their ramps let down on the beach. We are in Flotilla 7, LCI Group 19, Division 38. LCI 28 is the flag ship. Group Commander is on LCI 25.

July 20 – Arden L. Hunt (SM 3/C) joins the crew. Andy Sommerer (SM 1/C), recently joined the crew.

July 25 – Pulled alongside LST 455 and in the process, ran into another LCI and sank its motor boat.

July 27 – Moved alongside LCI 25.

Aug. 4 – William I. Harned replaced O. Landon Miles as the skipper. We have two new officers: Bennett Coulson is X.O. and Jack Joyce replaced Benjamin C. Florey as E.O. Left Bostrem Bay at 1700 on a shuttle run to Finschhafen, taking men returning to the States, 8 Aussie officers, and mail.

Aug. 5 – Arrived at Finschhafen at 1400. Trip was in very rough water with a strong headwind and rain. Left at 1800 to return to Bostrem Bay with mail and some Aussie troops. The starboard quad is out.

Aug. 6 – Arrived at Bostrem Bay at 1400. Let off Aussie troops.

Aug. 7 – Pulled alongside LST 455.

Aug. 8 – Carl Summers and Kimball left the crew to return to the States. For Summers it was a 30-day leave but when he arrived, he spent 3 months in a hospital with malaria and then was sent home. Harry Salisbury also left about this time.

Aug. 9 – Went into a floating dry dock at 1000. Found a full barrel of oil jammed between the starboard screw and the skid.

Aug. 9-11 – Scraped and painted the bottom of the ship.

Aug. 12 – Left dry dock at 0800 with starboard quad still out.

Aug. 13 – Five men joined the crew. None rated.

Aug. 24 – Anchored out in bay waiting to enter dry dock.

Aug. 25 – Entered dry dock. Put on anti-fossil coat and worked on screw.

Aug. 26 – Left dry dock and returned to beach, next to LCI 25. Took on water. Got anchor caught in the anchor cable of an LST.

Aug. 28 – Went out into Bostrem Bay. Compensated the compass. Had G.Q. and a fire drill.

Aug. 29 – Came alongside L 591 for water, fuel, oil, and supplies.

Aug. 30 – Cast off from L 591 and returned to the beach. Anchored out in Bostrem Bay tonight. Rained.

Aug. 31 – Got underway at 0600. Form 18 – three divisions with 7 LCI’s in each. We are the last ship in the column for the third division, behind LCI 224. Water is calm.

Sep. 1 – Changed course several times. Had G.Q. in afternoon. Arrived at Hollandia at 1600. Anchored out by ourselves.

Sep. 2 – Were to leave at 1800 but we didn’t because the exhaust water line was broken. Left Hollandia at midnight alone.

Sep. 3 – Arrived at Topia, New Guinea at 1000. Took on U.S. Army troops at 1600 (troops had to come out into waist-deep water to board).

Sep. 4 – Went out to sea several miles and returned to practice beaching. Had G.Q. on the way in. Hit the beach at 0800 and troops disembarked in waist-deep water.

Sep. 5 – Took on fuel, oil, and water from a tanker. Went alongside LCI 224 but water was so rough we anchored out.

Sep. 7, 1944 – Captain Harned went swimming with the crew.

Sep. 9 – Took on troops and their supplies at 0400. Water very rough. Anchored out.

Sep. 10 – Left Topia at 0800 in a large convoy of about 5 LST’s, 6 destroyers, 20 LCI’s, and 4 PC’s. The Wasacak is the flag ship. Speed: 8 knots. Passed Hollandia tonight.

Sep. 11 – Heading north. Combined with another task force. Now in a convoy of about 90 ships. Water is calm. Very dark at night.

Sep. 12 – Rained nearly all day. Passed Biak Island between 1200 and 1600. Crossed the equator at 1830

Sep. 13 – This morning 4 aircraft carriers and 5 cruisers joined the convoy.

Sep. 15 – D Day at Morotai Island. In the morning, cruisers and destroyers shelled the beach and aircraft strafed it. Very little opposition. At 0845, after 2 hours of shelling, the LCI’s hit the beach and troops disembarked in shoulder-deep water. Then we got stuck on the coral bottom. Two other LCI’s tried but could not pull us off until a bulldozer came out into 4-feet-deep water and helped push. No Japs nearby. Then headed back for Hollandia, New Guinea.

Sep. 16 – In a convoy of about 10 LCI’s. No rough water. A few short rain squalls. Speed: 12 knots.

Sep. 17 – Short rain squalls this morning. Crossed the equator at 0800. Biak Island seen most of the day on our starboard side. At about 1600, the port screw gear box burned out and we fell out of the convoy. LCI’s 25 and 27 stayed back to assist us.

Sep. 18 – Being towed by LCI 27 with a double cable. Speed: 10 knots.

Sep. 19 – Arrived at Hollandia at 0400 and anchored way back in the bay.

Sep. 20 – Left Hollandia at 1900 with LCI’s 224 and 225 to take mail and a few passengers to Milne Bay. Running on one screw as port quad is still not working.

Sep. 21 – Sea is quite choppy. Dropped off 2 Aussie officers at Aitape at 1600 and resumed trip.

Sep. 22 – Water very rough, washes clear over the bow. Passed Blup Blup Island and volcanoes Bam and Manum. Speed: 7 knots. At 1400, LCI 224 went on ahead.

Sep. 23 – Arrived at Alexishafen at 1100. Only a few ships here, Australians have left. Went alongside the Achilles for supplies and parts for the gear box. Went to the beach and got water and a lot of beer. Left at 1800 for Finschhafen. Water a little rough.

Sep. 25 – Arrived at Finschhafen just after midnight and had to wait until dawn to go in. Rained hard. This evening took on 50 sailors and supplies to take to Milne Bay.

Sept. 26 – Left Finschhafen at 0700 with LCI’s 224 and 225. Still on one screw, making 6-7 knots.

Sep. 27 – Passed Buna and Cape Sudest this morning. Rough water, strong winds, 10-foot waves.

Sep. 28 – Water and wind much quieter. Arrived at Milne Bay just after sunset. Many ships here. Came alongside LCI 224 in Stringer Bay.

Sep. 29 – Went 5 miles across the bay to Gamadoda and returned. Anchored on beach.

Sep. 30 – Working crew removed both ramps and the 20 MM gun from the bow. Moved farther down the beach and tried to have a barbeque but the meat didn’t get done in time.

Oct. 1 – Crewmen Arden Hunt, Ira Sargent, and Shook hitchhiked to the air strip about 20 miles away.

Oct. 3 – Went into a big floating dry dock, along with LCI 225.

Oct. 3-11 – In dry dock for repairs and painting.

Oct. 10-11 – All signalmen and quarter masters attended classes.

Oct. 12 – Left dry dock at about 0800 with LCI 225. Anchored out in the bay. About 10 of the older crewmen got leave to go to Sydney, Australia.

Oct. 15 – At 0800, the crewmen going on leave went ashore.

Oct. 16 – The crewmen going to Sydney left on another LCI. Very hot today.

Oct. 17 – Crewman Majestic got the end of a finger cut off by a LCV (small boat) coming alongside.

Oct. 18 – Came into the dock at Ladava for repairs along with LCI 225.

Oct. 18 to Nov. 2 – At the dock for repairs and conversion into a rocket ship. Had 2 twin 50 caliber machineguns installed and a 40 MM gun put on the bow. Waiting for rocket racks and a new gear box to arrive from the States.

Oct. 20 – Probable day the crewmen on leave arrived in Sydney, Australia.

Oct. 26, 1944 – Crewman Shook returned. Instead of going on leave to Sydney, he had been in a local hospital with malaria. Two women were on the quarterdeck with the officers. Very hot.

Oct. 28 – Crewmen Conway and Sommerer went over to a tanker. Rained some.

Nov. 1 – Starboard section went to fire school and had real building fires to put out. Bennett Coulson, the X.O, returned from Australia.

Nov. 2 – Port section went to fire school. Left working dock with LCI 225 and went across the bay to Stringer Bay where LCI 224 was. Hot every day, but nights are cool.

Nov. 2-18 – At Stringer Bay, waiting for gear box and rocket racks to arrive. Did lots of painting.

Nov. 11 – Our railing was smashed by an LCT as it left the beach.

Nov. 13 – A working party went to Gamadoda and got a washing machine.

Nov. 18 – Left the beach with the tide. The rocket racks have arrived from the States.

Nov. 19 – Went to Gamadoda and got 22 rocket racks and then went to the working dock at Ladava.

Nov. 20-29 – Got the rocket racks installed and wired. There are 44 rocket racks, 22 on each side of the ship. Each rack shoots 12 rockets. The ship can shoot 528 rockets before having to reload.

Nov. 22 – The crewmen on leave returned from Sydney, Australia with lots of stories to tell.

Nov. 25 – Got the washing machine working for the first time. Temp: 125Ί at 0800.

Nov. 28 – Five men joined the crew.

Nov. 30 – Left working dock at 0900. Took on 20,000 gals of diesel fuel. Left Ladava and went to Stringer Bay. Went alongside LCI’s 224 and 225. Got our first rockets, 20 boxes, and 96 boxes of 40 MM shells. Temp: 120Ί.

Dec. 1 – Left Stringer Bay for Shortland Island, 50 miles away, to practice shooting the rockets and guns. Arrived at Shortland Island at 1100. Shot off about 100 rockets. Very powerful, they chipped paint off the deck when leaving the racks. Returned to Stringer Bay at 1730.

Dec. 3 – This morning LCI’s 224 and 225 left for Leyte, Philippines. We are still waiting for a gear box. Went out and compensated the compasses.

Dec. 7 – The crew bought a radio-phonograph for $200.00 so we all paid $6.25 each {32 x 6.25 = 200}.

Dec. 8 – Our gear box arrived on LCI 434 from Australia. Went to the dock at Ladava for installation.

Dec. 8-15 – At the pontoon dock at Ladava for repairs to engines and gear box, and painting.

Dec. 10 – Temperature: 121Ί at 0700.

Dec. 11 – Crewman Sommerer came in drunk tonight. Crewman Royer and one of the new crewmen spent tonight in the brig for going into the women’s hut.

Dec. 15 – Left pontoon dock at 1530. Went to Stringer Bay and got several hundred rockets by 1730.

Dec. 16 – Left Stringer Bay at 0700 for Leyte, Philippines. Both quads work well. Stopped at Shortland Island and shot off rockets from every rack and also tested all the other guns. Sea is very calm.

Dec. 17 – Passed Buna just after midnight. Sea is very calm. Passed Finschhafen late tonight.

Dec. 18 – Passed Alexishafen this morning. Water a little rough. Passed Bagabag, Manam, Bam, and Blup Blup Islands.

Dec. 19 – Very rough water and windy. Passed Aitape at noon. Arrived at Humboldt Bay, Hollandia at 2200. Hundreds of ships here. Hot here.

Dec. 21 – Loaded 1500 rockets. About 5 men joined the crew, one is a quartermaster striker.

Dec. 22 – Took on fuel and 50 smoke rockets. The combat unit photographer came aboard and will take photos of the next invasion. Left Hollandia at noon with LCI 225 for Sansapor, New Guinea.

Dec. 23 – Rained the whole midnight watch, with a strong wind. We are the lead ship. Passed Windy and Biak Island tonight.

Dec. 24 – Water very calm now.

Dec. 25 – Arrived at Sansapor at 0800. About 40 ships here. Commander Day taught us all about rockets

Dec. 26 – Went up the coast about 3 miles and practiced firing rockets and all guns.

Dec. 27 – Went out with LCI 225 and practiced firing rockets.

Dec. 28 – Took on water, fuel, and 30 days provisions from AO 50. At about 1900, two Jap planes flew over. The ships opened up on them and they fled.

Dec. 30, 1944 – G.Q. was sounded at 0100. A twin motor Jap bomber flew over and was shot down by the ships. All ships left Sansapor at 0330 for the Philippines. We are behind LCI 690, the flag ship of Squad 66. Will pick up more ships at Leyte for the invasion of Luzon. Only 12 rocket ships.

Dec. 31 – Had shooting practice this morning. Speed: 8 knots. The convoy practiced making turns after making a big smoke screen. It worked well.

Jan. 2, 1945 – Now north of the equator. The combat photographer took a single picture of all hands on board. A Jap submarine was reported in the area. Two destroyers found it, dropped depth charges but didn’t get it, and then chased it over the horizon.

Jan. 3 – Combined with another convoy with 2 aircraft carriers in it. Rained hard but short this afternoon.

Jan. 4 – Water full of swells. About 1600, a small convoy from Manus with some rocket ships joined us. Saw Letye ahead of us at sunset. Had G.Q. twice tonight when enemy planes were spotted.

Jan. 5 – Passed through Surigao Straight, south of Leyte, and then went southwest through the Mindanao Sea, passing south of Negros.

Jan. 6 – Water is quite choppy. Have G.Q. 10 minuets before sunrise and sunset until one hour after.

Jan. 7 – Heading north through the Mindoro Straights. Had G.Q. a few times. A Jap plane was shot down at the front of the convoy. This morning about 75 of our B25’s flew over on a raid. Passed Mindoro. The convoy shot down a couple of Jap planes tonight.

Jan. 8 – A Jap plane attacked one of the carriers and was shot down. It tried to crash into the carrier but missed. A Jap Zero strafed the convoy and was later shot down.

Jan. 9 – D Day at Lingayen Gulf, Luzon, Philippines. Entered the gulf at 0200, engines ahead . Water very calm and moon is out. Went to G.Q. at 0500. Cruisers, destroyers, and 3 battleships began shelling the beach at first light. There was an air attack and we almost hit a Jap Zero. The convoy shot down several planes. A destroyer was hit by a bomb and another ship set on fire by being crashed dived by a plane. At 0900 we went in to about 200 yards from the beach and fired all our rockets. We were nearly hit by Jap shells, got sprayed by the splashes. Then 200 Army tank tractors that float went in followed by the troops in small boats. Had another air attack at 1300.

Jan. 10 – Had more air attacks but not close. Tonight we and other LCI’s anchored in a circle around the flag ship, Fremont, to watch for small boats. Were to shoot all boxes in the water with tommy guns.

Jan. 11 – This morning a water buffalo swam right alongside us. The crew would not let it be shot.

Jan. 12 – Had another air raid this morning. One dropped a bomb and 2 crash dived on ships setting an APD on fire.

Jan. 13 – Got provisions from an APA transport. A Jap plane dropped a bomb just missing another APA and we were the next closest ship. At 1800 left Lingayen Gulf for Leyte, along with 20 other ships.

Jan. 14 – Heading south down the coast of Luzon in a convoy of about 40 ships, mostly LST’s with about 8 LCI’s and an aircraft carrier (96).

Jan. 15 – While underway, went alongside several LST’s to pick up 140 units of blood plasma and took them to the aircraft carrier who had casualties from a suicide diver. This evening LCI 338 brought us mail, our first in 2 months. Passed by Mindoro tonight.

Jan. 16-17 – En route to Leyte. Sea is a bit rough from strong wind and it rained.

Jan. 18 – Arrived at Leyte at 0900. Philippine natives came alongside and traded with us.

Jan. 19 – Anchored alongside LCI 340, with LCI’s 224, 225, 227, and LCS 27. Rained a lot.

Jan. 20 – Went alongside a liberty ship to get provisions for 6 LCI’s.

Jan. 21 – Unloaded provisions to other LCI’s. Went into dry dock this evening to get port screw fixed.

Jan. 22 – Got out of dry dock at 1600 and anchored near LCI 28, our Flot flag ship.

Jan. 23 – Had more repair work done.

Jan. 24 – Took on fuel, water, rockets, and ammo.

Jan. 25 – Left Leyte at 0600 for Bataan, Luzon in a large convoy of 6 rocket ships, LST’s, liberty ships, DD’s, DC’s, APD’s, etc.

Jan. 26-27 – En route to Bataan, Luzon. Speed: 5 knots. Sea is quite calm.

Jan. 28 – Another convoy joined us this evening, mostly troops. Sea is a little choppy tonight.

Jan. 29, 1945 – D Day at San Antonio, Zambales, Luzon, Philippines. Went to G.Q. at 0600. The destroyers did not shell the beach as there were natives there. On our way in, received orders not to fire on the beach. Natives had come out in dugout canoes and reported that there were no Japs in the area. Troops landed without firing a shot and were warmly greeted by cheering natives.

Jan. 30 – Guarded the beach and other ships from Jap PT boat attack. Traded clothes to the natives for 10 chickens. The other 4 rocket ships returned tonight from shelling Grandy Island in Subic Bay.

Jan. 31 – Ate the chickens we got from the natives. Most of the ships have left here.

Feb. 2 – Left this morning for Subic Bay which was taken Jan 30. Trip took 2 hours in an 8-knot convoy.

Feb. 2-14 – Waiting in Subic Bay. Made visits to Grandy Island and swam there.

Feb. 6 – Went back in a jetty at the farthest end of the bay to take on water. The entire crew got 2 hours of liberty. Were only 7 miles from the front lines. Artillery shells were fired over our heads at the mountain passes. Crewman Conway fell at G.Q. tonight and broke his little toe.

Feb. 7 – Got ice cream from LCS 49. Came alongside LCS 29 tonight.

Feb. 14 – Loaded rockets this morning. Left Subic Bay at 1500 for Manila Bay. To fool the Japs in the mountains, we headed north until dark and then went south to Manila Bay.

Feb. 15 – D Day at Mariveles, Bataan, Luzon, Philippines. At sunrise, our convoy of 6 LCI rocket ships and 6 LCS gun boats were about 6 miles from Corregidor Island at the mouth of Manila Bay. Mine sweepers had already swept the area. While passing Corregidor on our way to Mariveles Harbor, Japs fired at the ships with an 8-inch gun hid in a cave and nearly capsized one of the small boats carrying troops. That boat then came alongside us to transfer 4 badly wounded men. While still underway, they tied up alongside us and we got 3 of the men aboard but the 4th one died so they left him in the boat to throw on the beach. Went into Mariveles Harbor and fired all our rockets at the beach and also shelled it with the 40 MM and other guns. Then the troops landed. An LSM hit a mine which set it afire and blew a half-truck clear out of the ship killing the troops it held. Reloaded the forward rocket racks. Went alongside an LCI who had a doctor to treat the 3 wounded men we had picked up. Reloaded all rocket racks and anchored out in Mariveles Harbor tonight.

Feb. 16 – D Day at Corregidor Island, Philippines. G.Q. was sounded at 0300 while still anchored in Mariveles Harbor because we were under attack by about 30 Jap suicide boats. Shells and tracers were flying all over the harbor. LCI 225 was hit by a 40 MM shell in their fog generator and drums. By the time it was over, LCS 7, LCS 26, LCS 49, and an LSM had been sunk (one of them right next to us), and LCS 27 was heavily damaged and on fire but had managed to beach herself. The LCT’s picked up the survivors. Then we all went 6 miles out to sea and returned at dawn. Including the LSM that hit a mine yesterday, we lost about 200 men here. We left Mariveles Harbor at 0800 for Corregidor Island just 2 miles to the southeast. All morning our large ships had been shelling the island and our planes bombing and strafing it. On our way to the island, we were headed for a floating mine when an APD signaled us to stop, which we did, or else we may have hit it. From 0830 to 1000, our planes dropped airborne troops. We went in along with the other rocket ships and fired all our rockets and then strafed the caves and pill boxes, taking out several of them. Enemy fire from the beach was intense. LCI 340 was being hit by enemy fire and when their mast was shot off, they withdrew after firing only half their rockets. We were hit in 6 different places by 50 cal. machinegun fire at which point we backed out of there. Captain Harned had disobeyed a standing order stating not to fire at the beach after troops had landed but had done so at the request of an Army major because the pill boxes were causing many U.S. casualties. Later that day, Harned had to report to the fleet Commodore on the flag ship and explain his actions. Captain Harned was later awarded the Silver Star for Bravery for his actions at Corregidor, as skipper of LCI 226. Tonight we headed back for Subic Bay.

Feb. 17 – Arrived at Subic Bay at 0200. Destroyers guard the mouth of the bay for Jap boats.

Feb. 18 – Alongside LCI’s 225 and 228.

Feb. 19 – Services were held on the Fletcher for the men lost February 16th at Mariveles Harbor.

Feb. 21 – LCI 778 brought us mail, our first in a month.

Feb. 22, 1945 – Went to Olongapo to get water. Some got an hour of liberty. Took on fuel from AO 38.

Feb. 23 – Took on eleven hundred rockets from AK 99. Got small stores and ships service off the Pollux for the 6 rocket ships and 2 LCS’s. Went alongside LCI 225 here in Subic Bay.

Feb. 25 – Went with LCI 340 to get general supplies from an LCT for all 6 LCI’s. Left Subic Bay this evening for an unknown operation along with LCI’s 225, 337, and 340. No other ships along to help fend off an attack.

Feb. 26 – Arrived at Mindoro at 1300. Crewman Myers won the $15 anchor pool. Went alongside LCI 342. Very windy here. Very large airport here with about 100 B24 Liberators and also other planes.

Feb. 27 – Anchored on the beach this afternoon. Crewman Hunt went ashore for 2 hours to watch the B24’s come back from bombing Formosa and he got to go inside one and look it over.

Feb. 28 – Left Mindoro at 1600 for an invasion on Lubang Island. Will land just 500 troops to take out a Jap radar station. Expect little opposition. We will guard the bay entrance with LCI 225 and a DE.

Mar. 1 – D Day at Lubang Island, Philippines. H Hour: 0830. A DD and a DE shelled the beach, starting some large fires. Then some A-20’s did some bombing. LCI’s did not fire rockets. Troops landed without opposition. Left for Mindoro at 1600.

Mar. 2 – Arrived at San Jose, Mindoro at 0700.

Mar. 5-6 – Crewman Hunt was sick with flu symptoms and high fever.

Mar. 7 – William Harned (the skipper) left to return to the States after giving the crew a farewell speech.

Mar. 8 – Left Mindoro at 0700 for an invasion on Mindanao with Bennett Coulson as the new skipper. In a large convoy of mostly amphibs except for a DD, DE, and a CL. Sea is very rough, washes up on the quarterdeck. One of the troops on an LSM fell overboard and was lost tonight.

Mar. 10 – D Day at Zamboanga, Mindanao, Philippines. The DD and DE started shelling at first light, starting several large fires. At 0830, the LCI’s and gun boats went in to shoot our rockets and guns at the beach. About 500 to 700 Japs here. In the afternoon, Japs shot mortar shells at the ships with near misses but no hits. Troops could not take the town today. Anchored at Condition II.

Mar. 11 – Went on patrol at 0600. Stood by waiting to be called to throw rockets into the town but was not. Troops took the town this evening. More mortar shells were shot at ships by Japs in the mountains. We have patrol duty all night tonight with LCI 225 and LCS 30. Jap PT boats reported in the area.

Mar. 12 – Japs are putting up stiff opposition. This morning went in to the town to help if needed and were shot at by Japs on the hill with light MM fire. Went alongside the flag ship, Rocky Mount, this afternoon. Japs shelled our beachhead from 1900 until 2100 with some shells landing in the water. Don’t know how many casualties. LCI 225 left in a convoy tonight. Have patrol duty again all night tonight. About midnight, a Jap shell hit our oil & fuel storage on the beach starting large fire.

Mar. 14 – Stood by all day. At 1800, two Jap planes dropped bombs on the beach. At 2300 went in and tied up to Zamboanga Pier with all LCI’s and LCT’s. LCS’s did the patrolling.

Mar. 15 – Tied to pier all day. This afternoon 2 floating mines came towards the pier so the LCI 337 demolition team towed them out a mile and blew them up. Anchored out tonight.

Mar. 16 – D Day at Saoroc Point, Basilan Island, Philippines. Left at 0800 for Basilan Island, 40 miles to the south. LCI 337 and us are the only rocket ships. Troops are in the LCS’s. Arrived at 1100 and shot our rockets at the beach. No enemy fire. Returned to Zamboanga at about 1400 and tied to the pier. This evening, Japs captured our PT base up the point a ways (the PT’s got out just in time).

Mar. 17-23 – Waiting at Zamboanga, tied to the pier most of the time. LCI 227 left on the 20th.

Mar. 24 – Went to Red Beach. Loaded all our rockets (about 1550) on an LCM who went to the beach, unloaded 250 of them, and then returned to give the rest back to us. Went alongside the Rocky Mount and LCI 778. Got our first mail in over a month. Anchored out tonight.

Mar. 25 – Left Zamboanga at 1800 for Leyte in about a 15-ship convoy. Will miss the next operation.

Mar. 27 – Sea is very choppy. We’re trying to reach Leyte ahead of a big storm with 40 mph winds. Arrived at Leyte at 2300. Crewman Tomsom won the $90 anchor pool. Very cool and rainy here.

Mar. 30 to Apr. 3 – Availability alongside the repair ship Oglala.

Apr. 3, 1945 – Went into AFD 3 Dry Dock at 1600. Scraped and painted.

Apr. 4 – Left dry dock at 1600.

Apr. 5 – Bennett Coulson left to return to the States. Jack Joyce was promoted and is the new skipper.

Apr. 6 – We took some officers to the Henry T Allen (AG 90). Mr. Green was aboard today.

Apr. 8 – Left Leyte at 0800 for Mindoro in a convoy of 10 LCI’s, an LCS, and a PC. Went north through the shallow straight between Leyte and Samar. Sea is very calm. Had target practice at a sleeve pulled by a plane.

Apr. 9 – Sea is very calm. Arrived at Mindoro at 1600. Tenderfoot O Gang is here. We had a lot of mail here but LCI 224 took it to Leyte, not knowing we were coming here. Beached tonight.

Apr. 11 – From 0700 until 1500, along with other LCI’s, did a dry run. Went back to the beach tonight.

Apr. 13 – Crewman Hunt (SM 3/C) was transferred to LCI 72 because they needed another signalman.

Apr. 14 – Left Mindoro at 1100 in a convoy for an operation on Mindanao. Sea is calm.

Apr. 16 – Passed Zamboanga this afternoon and went east across Moro Gulf. Sea is calm.

Apr. 17 – D Day at Polloc Harbor, Mindanao, Philippines. Polloc Harbor is about 160 miles east of Zamboanga, by the town of Parang. Arrived this morning while destroyers were shelling the beach. Anchored in Polloc Harbor tonight.

Apr. 19 – Stayed here at Polloc Harbor while LCI’s 71, 72, 74, 338, and LCS 50 left for Morotai Island.

May 1 – D Day on Borneo (or probably Tarakan Island, Dutch East Indies).

June 26 – Possibly another D Day on Borneo.

July 1 – D Day at Balikpapan, Borneo. Located on the Southeast coast of Borneo. After the operation, left for Morotai Island.

July 10-15 – Went to Morotai Island and then on to Manicani Island in Leyte Gulf, Philippines. Robert L. Burns joined the crew as a quartermaster at Morotai Island.

Late July – Jack Joyce was replaced by a "weathered J.G." named Woodward as the new skipper.

July 15 to September 8 – At the dock at Manicani Island in Leyte Gulf for repairs. LCI 72 is here for the same repairs. We both got 8 new diesel engines, radar, SCR, radios, a $4700 compass (Gyro) Sperry, deck plates reinforced amidships, and more. V-J Day occurred during this period.

Aug. 6 – Atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, Japan.

Aug. 9 – Atomic bomb dropped on Nagasaki, Japan.

Aug. 14 – V-J Day. Japan surrenders.

Sep. 10 – Left at 0900, passed out of the torpedo net at Guiuan Harbor and went to Tolosa, Leyte, about 50 miles to the west along with LCI 72. Reported to Com LCI Flot 7. We have no orders.

Sep. 10 to Oct. 20 – Waiting in San Pedro Bay, Leyte.

Oct. 21 – Left Leyte at 1000 for Pearl Harbor, Hawaii along with rocket ships LCI’s 71, 72, etc.

Oct. 30 – Arrived at Eniwetok Atoll, Marshall Islands.

Nov. 2 – Left Eniwetok for Pearl Harbor.

Nov. 13 – Arrived at Pearl Harbor, being towed after loosing one or more engines.

Nov. 21 – Left Pearl Harbor for San Diego, California.

Dec. 2 – Arrived at San Diego, being towed as one or more engines were out.

February 1946 – LCI(R) 226 was decommissioned at San Diego, California.

March 13, 1947 – LCI 226 was sold.

Back to the Navsource Photo Archives Main Page Back To The Amphibious Ship Type Index Back To The Landing Craft Infantry (LCI) Photo Index Back To The LCI(L)-226 Main Page
Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster.
This page is created and maintained by Gary P. Priolo
All pages copyright NavSource Naval History