Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive

Gull (AM 74)

Gull Class Minesweeper:

  • The first Gull was laid down 12 June 1928 as the trawler M/V Boston College by the Bath Iron Works, Bath, ME for F. J. O'Hara and Sons, Inc. of Boston, MA
  • Launched 17 October 1928
  • Delivered 1 December 1928
  • Renamed Gull 14 August 1940 by U.S. Navy prior to acquisition
  • Acquired by the Navy 30 August 1940
  • Conversion to a Minesweeper began 8 September 1940 at the Bethlehem Steel Co., East Boston, MA
  • Commissioned USS Gull (AM 74), 3 December 1940
  • Completed conversion 27 March 1941
  • Decommissioned 25 July 1944 at Quincy, MA
  • Struck from the Naval Register 22 August 1944
  • Transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal 15 May 1946, sold to Gudron Inc. of Boston and renamed Gudron
  • Lost in 1951.


  • Displacement 410 t.
  • Length 124' 3"
  • Beam 23'
  • Draft 10' 8"
  • Speed 9 kts.
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount
  • Propulsion: One Cooper Bessemer diesel engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Boston College
    Gull 105k Bath Iron Works photo Joe Radigan
    USS Gull (AM 74)
    Seagull 25k Namesake: Gull/Sea Gull/Seagull - A common shore bird having long wings and webbed feet Tommy Trampp
    Photo added 24 February 2020
    Gull 138k c. 1941
    Naval History and Heritage Command photo NH 89213
    Mike Green

    Commanding Officers
    01LCDR Ernest Louis Posey, USNR3 December 1940 - 1941
    02LT Harold Joseph Burke, USNR - Awarded the Legion of Merit (1945)1941 - 5 January 1942
    03LT Frank George Hull, USNR5 January 1942 - 1 February 1943
    04LT Robert Michael Simms, USNR1 February 1943 - 30 September 1943
    05LTJG Pierre LaTour, USN30 September 1943 - 25 July 1944
    Courtesy of Wolfgang Hechler, Ron Reeves and Joe Radigan

    View the Gull (AM 74)
    DANFS History entry located on the Naval History and Heritage Command Website
    Back to The Main Photo Index Back To the Mine Ship Photo Index Back to the Minesweeper (AM) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page is created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History