Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive

Counsel (MSF 165)

Call sign:
November - Delta - Romeo - Alpha


Admirable Class Minesweeper:

  • Originally planned as Coastal Minesweeper Counsel (AMc 142)
  • Reclassified as a Minesweeper AM-165, 21 February 1942
  • Laid down 15 June 1942 by the Willamette Iron and Steel Corp., Portland, OR
  • Launched 17 February 1943
  • Commissioned USS Counsel (AM 165), 27 May 1944
  • Decommissioned 15 January 1947 at San Diego, CA
    Naval Vessel Register of 1 January 1949 lists out of commission, in reserve as December 1945
  • Reclassified as a Fleet Minesweeper (Steel Hull), MSF-163, 7 February 1955
  • Struck from the Naval Register 1 July 1972
  • Sold for scrap 1 September 1973.


  • Displacement 650 t.
  • Length 184' 6"
  • Beam 33'
  • Draft 9' 9"
  • Speed 14.8 kts.
  • Complement 104
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, two twin 40mm gun mounts, one depth charge projector (hedgehog) and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 1,710shp ALCO 539 diesel engines, Farrel-Birmingham single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    No image of Counsel (MSF 165) is available at this time

    Commanding Officers
    01CDR Edwin Charles Davis, USNR27 May 1944 - March 1946
    02LTJG Robert J. Rantz, USNRMarch 1946 - April 1946
    03LTJG Emery Lyle Burgess, USNRApril 1946 - 15 January 1947
    Courtesy of Wolfgang Hechler, Ron Reeves Joe Radigan and R. A. Moody

    View the Counsel (MSF 165)
    DANFS History entry located on the Haze Gray & Underway Website
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index Back to the Fleet Minesweeper (MSF) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History