Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive

Fixity (AM 235)

Call sign:
Nan - Dog - How - Fox


Admirable Class Minesweeper:

  • Laid down 12 May 1944 as Patrol Craft Escort, PCE-908 by the Puget Sound Bridge and Dredging Co., Seattle, WA
  • Launched 4 September 1944
  • Commissioned USS Fixity (AM 235), 29 December 1944
  • Decommissioned 6 November 1946 at Bremerton, WA
  • Transferred to the Maritime Commission, 23 January 1948
    Naval Vessel Register of 1 January 1949 lists transfer to the War Shipping Administration as November 1948
  • Acquired in 1949 by Commercial Barge Lines of Detroit, MI for use as a tugboat, converted to river service in 1949 at Paducah Marine Ways, Paducah, KY and renamed M/V Commercial Dixie
  • Acquired in 1961 by the American Commercial Barge Line Co. of Jeffersonville, IN
  • Scrapped in 1964.


  • Displacement 945 t.(fl)
  • Length 184' 6"
  • Beam 33'
  • Draft 9' 9"
  • Speed 14.8 kts.
  • Complement 104
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose mount, one twin 40mm gun mount, six 20mm gun mounts, one depth charge projector (hedgehog), four depth charge projectors (K-gun), and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 1,710shp Cooper Bessemer GSB-8 diesel engines, National Supply Co. single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    USS Fixity (AM 235)
    Fixity 118k At Seattle, WA on 16 January 1945, wearing camouflage 32/23D. The colors should be dull black and light gray
    National Archives photo 19-LCM-AM235-1
    Ships of the U.S. Navy in WWII “Dazzle” Camouflage
    M/V Commercial Dixie
    Fixity 143k Dan Owen

    Commanding Officers
    01LT Alfred Peter Kreiger, USNR29 December 1944 - 1 November 1945
    02LT George Charles Bevel, Jr., USN1 November 1945
    03LTJG Robert Frank Vales, USN13 August 1948 - 6 November 1946
    Courtesy of Wolfgang Hechler, Ron Reeves and R. A. Moody

    View the Fixity (AM 235)
    DANFS history entry located on the Naval History and Heritage Command website
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Patrol Craft Escort (PCE) Photo Index Back To the Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index Back to the Minesweeper (AM) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan (of blessed memory) & Michael Mohl
    All Pages © 1996 - 2023, NavSource History, All rights reserved.