Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive
Racer (IX 100)
Nan - Zebra - Roger - George
SC-501 served both the U. S. Coast Guard and Navy
SC-497 Class Submarine ChaserThe second Racer was laid down 29 April 1941 as PC-501 by the Seabrook Yacht Corp., Houston, TXLaunched 24 January 1942Completed in April 1942Reclassified SC-501, 8 April 1943Acquired from the Coast Guard 9 April 1943Reclassified as an Unclassified Miscellaneous Auxiliary, IX-100, 21 April 1943Named Racer 3 May 1943Placed in service 27 May 1943Placed out of service 21 May 1946Struck from the Navy Register 5 June 1946Sold 20 December 1946Fate unknown.
SC-501 Specifications:Displacement 148 t.Length 111'Beam 17'Draft 6' 6"Speed 15.6 kts.Complement 28Armament: One 40mm gun mount, two .50 cal. machine guns, two "Y Gun," depth charge projectors and two depth charge tracksPropulsion: Two 800bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
Racer Specifications:Displacement 114 t.Length 111'Beam 17'Propulsion: Non self-propelled.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
| No image of Racer (IX 100) is available at this time
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships History: The second Racer (IX-l00) was laid down 29 April 1941 as PC-501 by Seabrook Yacht Corp., Houston, Tex.; launched 24 January 1942; changed to SC-501 8 April 1943; acquired by the Navy from the Coast Guard 9 April 1943; changed to IX-1OO 21 April 1943; named Racer 3 May 1943; and placed in service 27 May 1943.
Originally attached to the 14th Naval District for fleet use, wooden-hulled Racer was reassigned to ServRon 2, upon being placed in service, and for the remainder of her career operated under the direction of the Antisubmarine Warfare Unit Sound School, Pearl Harbor.
Racer was placed out of service 21 May 1946, struck from the Navy list 5 June 1946, and sold 20 December 1946 to Charles Marramore of Honolulu.
Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
Patrol Craft Sailors Association
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|