Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

Bel Air (PC 1191)

Call sign:
November - Papa - Zulu - November

PC-461 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 23 May 1942 by the Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., Morris Heights, NY
  • Launched 25 July 1942
  • Commissioned USS PC-1191, 2 November 1942 at the New York Navy Yard, Brooklyn, NY
  • Decommissioned 12 July 1946 at Charleston, SC and placed in service as a Naval Reserve Training Ship at the 6th Naval District (Charleston)
  • Placed in reserve in March 1950 at Norfolk, VA
  • Named Bel Air 15 February 1956
  • Struck from the Naval Register in March 1959
  • Disposed of in January 1961.


  • Displacement 450 t.
  • Length 173' 8"
  • Beam 23'
  • Draft 10' 10"
  • Speed 20.2 kts.
  • Complement 65
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, one 40mm gun mount, five 20mm guns, two rocket launchers, and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 1,440bhp Hooven-Owen-Rentschler R-99DA diesel engines, Westinghouse single reduction gear, two shafts.

    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Bel Air 113k 24 October 1942
    Sea trials in the Hudson River, between the George Washington Bridge and
    Yonkers, NY
    National Archives photo
    Original photo from Mystic Seaport, Rosenfeld Collection
    Replacement photo from Dan Treadwell
    Bel Air 75k Bureau of Ships photo Edib Krlicbegovic

    View the Bel Air (PC 1191)
    DANFS history entry located on the Naval History and Heritage Command website
    Additional Resources and Websites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Submarine Chaser (PC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History