Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Motor Torpedo Boat Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - Xray - Zebra - Charlie

80' Elco Motor Torpedo Boat:

  • Laid down 30 May 1942 by the Electric Boat Co., Elco Works, Bayonne, NJ
  • Launched 22 August 1942
  • Completed 7 September 1942, placed in service and assigned to Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron SEVEN (MTBRon 7) which was under the command of Lt. Rollin E. Westholm, USN
  • MTBRon 7, assigned to the Southwest Pacific, had action in New Guinea waters at Tufi, Morobe, Kiriwina, Dreger Harbor, and Aitape, and in Philippine waters at San Pedro Bay and at Ormoc.
    The squadron based for a time at Kana Kopa, New Guinea; Thursday Island, Australia; Ferusson Island, d'Entrecasteaux Group; and Mios Woendi, Dutch New Guinea, but had no action at these bases. PT's 127-132 were on detached duty at Thursday Island from June to August 1943 as Motor Torpedo Boat Division 19, under command of Lt. Comdr. Robert J. Bulkley, Jr., USNR. MTBRon 7 was awarded the Navy Unit Commendation for action in the New Guinea area from April 1, 1944, to February 1, 1945
  • During the Battle of Leyte Gulf, on the night of 24 - 25 October 1944, PT-130 was hit by 4.7" gunfire from the Japanese destroyer Shigure but passed through her without detonating. In another stroke of
    luck one of the hits tore a huge chunk out of the one of her torpedo warheads without causing it to detonate
  • Transferred 15 February 1945 to MTBRon 8 which was under the command of Lt. Robert A. Williamson, USNR
  • MTBRon 8, assigned to the Southwest Pacific, had action in New Guinea waters at Tufi, Morobe, Kiriwina, and Aitape; at Rein Bay and Talasea on New Britain, and in Philippine waters at Mindoro,
    Zamboanga, and Tawi Tawi. The squadron based for a time at Kana Kopa, Dreger Harbor, and Mios Woendi, New Guinea , and at San Pedro Bay in the Philippines, but had no action at these bases
  • The "Raven", ex-"New Guinea Krud" was placed out of service, stripped and destroyed by U.S. Forces 28 October 1945 at Samar, Philippines.


  • Displacement 56 t.
  • Length 80'
  • Beam 20' 8"
  • Draft 5'
  • Speed 41 kts.
  • Complement 17
  • Armament: One 40mm mount, one 37mm mount, two 20mm mounts, four 21" Torpedoes and two twin .50 cal. machine guns
  • Propulsion: Three 1,500shp Packard W-14 M2500 gasoline engines, three shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    PT-130 291k Japanese prisoners of war on an unidentified PT boat with PT-188 and PT-130 in the background
    Courtesy of Alvin Hanson
    Jerry Gilmartin, MMC(SW), USN, Ret.
    PT-130 99k Crew photo
    PT-130 98k .
    PT-130 120k From the collection of LTJG William Skade, commanding PT-143
    PT-130 116k
    PT-130 222k MM2 Dean Franklin Younger, second from left (standing). The little boy in photo was their boats “mascot”. That when the boat was in port, he would do odd jobs for them and they in turn would feed him
    From the collection of MM2 Dean Franklin Younger
    Clifford Dean Younger, Sr.
    PT-130 202k MM2 Dean Franklin Younger, third from left (standing)
    From the collection of MM2 Dean Franklin Younger
    PT-130 219k "Thinking Cap" of PT boats, this "radome" bulb houses the antenna of the radar set aboard the vessel. Invaluable to hard-hitting PTs because of their habitual tendency to operate under the cover of night, radar's electronic eye pierces the darkness indicating targets, warning of navigational dangers
    National Archives photo 80-G-326749
    Tracy White
    PT-130 219k 25 December 1943
    Drawing showing PT-130 and PT-191s position
    Photo from PT Boats in World War II..., The Mosquito Fleet by Bern Keating (See Planes at Arawa below)
    Tommy Trampp
    Photo added 15 January 2020

    Boat Captains
    01LT Edward I. Farley, USNR - Awarded the Silver Star and the Legion of MeritDecember 1943
    02LTJG Ian D. Malcolm, USNR - Awarded the Silver StarJune 1944
    03LTJG F. W. Weidmann, USNRMay 1945
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for PT-130

    Immediately following the landing of our troops at Arawe, New Britain, on December 15, 1943 PT's instituted regular nightly patrols of the Arawe area to forestall any attempts by the enemy to move troops in by barge. Lt. William C. Quinby, USNR, in PT 110 and Lt. (jg.) Elliott H. Goodwin, USNR, in PT 138 made one of these patrols on the night of December 25/26, 1943, and in the morning stopped at Arawe to embark 16 passengers for Dreger, including several wounded soldiers.

    As the PT's stood out of Arawe Harbor, 15 to 20 enemy dive bombers flew directly out of the sun, attacking the PT's, the APC 15, the SC 747, and an LCT. The attack was so sudden that the first bombs dropped before the PT's could open fire. The first bomb hit only 30 feet from the 110, severely jolting the boat and crew, and knocking the 20mm gunner, Stephen P. LeFebvre, TM3c, down the engineroom hatch. As other bombs were dropping 50 and 75 feet away, LeFebvre scrambled back to his gun and opened fire on a plane off the port quarter, following it around to the starboard bow. The plane caught fire and crashed ashore.

    Several bombs fell near the 138, exploding under water and spraying fragments, opening up seams, and piercing the hull. One small bomb landed on the deck forward, falling at an angle, and passed through the deck and out the starboard side of the boat above the waterline without exploding. The 138 was taking on water so rapidly that Goodwin ran her bow up on a reef on the south side of Arawe Island.

    The planes made only one pass and then went away. Aboard the 110, Quinby and William F. Lohman, GM2c, USNR had suffered superficial wounds. LeFebvre had a bruised shoulder from a bullet which hit the shoulder rest of his gun, missing him by less than an inch. No one was injured on the 138.

    In a few minutes it was apparent that the leaks in the 138 could be controlled. The SC 747 pulled her off the reef and she returned to Dreger Harbor under her own power.

    Twenty-four hours later Lieutenant Swift, in PT 190 (Lt. Edward I. Farley, USNR) with Ens. Ewing's PT 191, were 25 miles northwest of Arawe, on the way back to Dreger Harbor after an uneventful patrol. A large flight of enemy dive bombers and fighters -- estimates ran from 30 to 38 -- came in from the north and began to bomb and strafe the boats in groups of three and four. The PT's separated, increased speed, and started zigzagging toward a bank of low-hanging clouds 12 miles away.

    Unlike the planes of the day before, these made repeated dives, strafing and dropping a total of forty 100-pound bombs. As soon as the attack began, the boats asked for fighter cover, but they had difficulty getting the message through, and it was 40 minutes before a flight of P-47's arrived from Finschhafen.

    The 191 took the heaviest part of the attack. Ensign Ewing was wounded in the lung early in the action, and his second officer, Ens. Fred Calhoun, USNR, took charge of the boat. Himself hit in the thigh by a machine-gun bullet, Calhoun stuck to the wheel, watching each bomb drop and twisting the PT out of its path. Bomb fragments ricocheted from the 20mm. magazine, putting the gun out of action and severely wounding Thomas H. Dean, CMoMM, USNR, the gunner, and August Sciutto, MoMM2c, the loader. Other near-misses blew an 18-inch hole in the portside and peppered the entire boat
    with fragments.

    On the third and fourth run, the port and starboard engine water jackets were hit, and jets of hot water spurted through the engineroom. The starboard intake manifold also was hit, and the supercharger forced gasoline fumes into the engineroom. Victor A. Bloom, MoMM1c, USNR, despite bomb splinters and bullets, fumes and spraying hot water, swiftly taped and stuffed the leaks, keeping the engines running. Then, fearing that the fumes might explode, he closed off the fuel tank compartment and pulled the release valve to smother it with carbon dioxide. Finally, when he had brought order to his engineroom, he went to work to give first aid to the wounded.

    The action was far from one sided, however. The gunners on both boats met every attacking plane with a withering blast of fire. Four Japanese planes crashed into the sea near the boats. "Toward the end of the attack," Lieutenant Farley reported, "the enemy became more and more inaccurate and less willing to close us. It is possible that we may have knocked down the squadron leader as the planes milled about in considerable confusion, as if lacking leadership."

    The remaining planes were routed by our P-47's, which shot down at least one more of the enemy. One P-47, hit by an enemy plane, made a belly landing half a mile from the 190. The pilot, though badly cut in the head and wounded in the arm, freed himself just before his plane sank. The 190 sped to him, and Lieutenant Swift and Joe H. Cope, S1c, USNR, dived into the water and towed him to the PT.

    The 190 was undamaged. The 191, thanks to the accuracy of her gunners, the skillful boat handling of Ensign Calhoun, and the remarkable performance of Bloom, was able to return to base under her
    own power.

    "This action," Commander Mumma reported, "is believed to be one of the outstanding fights between PT boats and aircraft. It has shown that the automatic weapon armament is most effective. It has demonstrated that ably handled PT's can in daylight withstand heavy air attack, however not without disabling damage."

    (The following personnel were cited for the above action: ENS Fred Calhoun, USNR - Silver Star, CMoMM Thomas H. Dean, USNR - Bronze Star and MoMM1c Victor A. Bloom, USNR - Navy Cross).

    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Index Back to the Motor Torpedo Boat (PT) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History