Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Motor Torpedo Boat Photo Archive

Courtesy of Tommy Trampp


Call sign:
Nan - Charlie - Baker - Charlie

Sunk 16 August 1944

78' Higgins Motor Torpedo Boat:

  • Laid down 2 July 1942 by Higgins Industries, New Orleans, LA
  • Launched 3 October 1942
  • Completed 23 January 1943
  • Placed in service 24 January 1943 and assigned to Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron FIFTEEN (MTBRon 15) under the command of Comdr. Stanley M. Barnes, USN
  • MTBRon 15 was the first PT squadron sent to the Mediterranean Theater, where it operated as a unit of the British Coastal Forces. It had action throughout the western Mediterranean, basing at Bizerte
    and Bone, Africa; Palermo, Sicily; Salerno, Capri, and Leghorn, Italy; Maddalena, Sardinia; Bastia and Calvi, Corsica, and St. Tropez, France
  • Damaged by gunfire from a German Flak-lighter 26 July 1943 off Palermo, Sicily
  • On 24 May 1944, PT-202, PT-213 and PT-218 (under the command of LCDR Robert A. Allen, RNVR) sank German corvette UJ-2223, ex-Italian Maragone (C 52) and damaged UJ-2222, ex-Italian
    Tuffeto (C 51) off Vada Rocks, Corsica
  • The "J Square" was sunk by a mine 16 August 1944 in the Mediterranean off Point Aygulf, France in the Gulf of Frejus.


  • Displacement 56 t.
  • Length 78'
  • Beam 20' 8"
  • Draft 5' 3"
  • Speed 41 kts.
  • Complement 17
  • Armament: One 40mm mount, four 21" torpedoes, two twin .50 cal. machine guns and one 20mm mount
  • Propulsion: Three 1,500shp Packard W-14 M2500 gasoline engines, three shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    PT-202 71k PT-210, PT-203 and PT-202 Jerry Gilmartin, MMC(SW), USN, Ret.
    PT-202, 304 & 309 322k c. July 1943
    "A row of American sub-chasers are tied up in the harbor of Palermo, Sicily
    Right to left: PT-202, unidentified, PT-309 and unidentified
    Dept. of the Air Force Photo ID 67101AC from the National Archives (ID 204919294)
    David Upton
    Photo added 16 May 2021
    PT-202 71k Bridge personnel on PT-202 (J-Square) while on patrol off Bastia Corsica in the Mediterranean - June 1944
    Photo from LIFE Magazine - Carl Mydans Photographer, shared by Peter DeForest
    Mike Green
    PT-202 177k August 1944
    Drawing showing location of PT-202 and PT-218 (Drawing incorrectly lists her as PT-208)
    Photo from PT Boats in World War II..., The Mosquito Fleet by Bern Keating (See Mines below)
    Tommy Trampp

    Boat Captains
    01LTJG Robert D. McLeod, USNR - Awarded the Navy Commendation RibbonJuly 1943
    02LTJG Wesley J. H. Gallagher, USNR - Awarded the Silver Star (1944) and the Navy Commendation RibbonAugust 1944
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for PT-202

    On the evening of August 16, Lt. (jg.) Wesley J. H. Gallagher, USNR, in PT 202, and Lt. Robert A. Dearth, USNR, in PT 218, set out from the Baie de Briande to find a tanker reported to be in the Gulf of Frejus, 15 miles to the northeast. At 2050, when the boats were 21/2 miles off Pte. St. Aygulf, at the western side of the Gulf of Frejus, the bow lookout on PT 202 reported a floating boxlike object 150 yards dead ahead. Gallagher immediately altered course to the right to avoid it. During its turn the boat ran over a mine which blew the stern right off, knocked several men overboard, and catapulted a column of water, smoke, and debris hundreds of feet in the air.

    Francis A. Kowalski, TM2c, USNR; Francis J. Cavanaugh, RM3c, USNR; Dante Alfieri, QM2c, USNR, and Nicholas J. Massiello, TM2c, USNR, unhesitatingly went over the side to the aid of the men in the water. Dearth brought the 218 in and picked up all of the men from the water. He was proceeding toward the 202 to take off the rest of the crew when his boat also ran over a mine which blew off her stern. Gallagher had started to try to signal to other ships in the bay to get help. As soon as the 218 was mined he stopped, considering it unsafe for any other ships to come into the area.

    The boat captains inspected their boats to make sure that no personnel remained below, and then got their crews into liferafts. They tied the liferafts together and held a muster. Only one man was missing. One officer and five enlisted men were injured. By amazing luck the engineer on watch in the engineroom of each boat survived, although on one boat the force of the blast tossed a bank of storage batteries right out of the engineroom and onto the forecastle.

    Both boats were obviously sinking, so the boat captains turned their rafts shorewards. An air raid was then in progress, and fragments from antiaircraft projectiles were falling all about the rafts. The crews made shore three-quarters of an hour after midnight, choosing as a landing place a barren, rocky point that they thought was the least likely terrain for landmines. Gallagher picked his way through barbed wire entanglements and found an abandoned, partially destroyed cottage not far from the beach. The crews stayed in the cottage for the night, since they had no way of knowing whether they were in friendly or enemy territory. Soon after daylight the boat captains found an advanced U.S. Army unit half a mile away. The wounded were transferred by ambulance to a first-aid station and a nearby Navy beachmaster found transportation for the rest of the crews back to the Baie de Briande.

    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Index Back to the Motor Torpedo Boat (PT) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History