Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Motor Torpedo Boat Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - Tare - Charlie - Easy

80' Elco Motor Torpedo Boat:

  • Laid down 21 April 1943 by the Electric Boat Co., Elco Works, Bayonne, NJ
  • Launched 2 July 1943
  • Completed 16 June 1943
  • Placed in service 22 July 1943 and assigned to Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron TWENTY SEVEN (MTBRon 27) under the command of CDR Clinton McKellar, Jr., USN
  • MTBRon 27, assigned to the South Pacific, had action at Treasury and Green. Assigned temporarily to the Third Fleet, the squadron was based at Palau, in the Marianas, from October to December 1944,
    when it was transferred to the Southwest Pacific. There it had action at San Pedro Bay and Subic Bay in the Philippines, and Balikpapan in Borneo
  • Placed out of service 19 October 1945
  • Transferred to the State Department, Foreign Liquidation Commission in May 1946 and sold
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 56 t.
  • Length 80'
  • Beam 20' 8"
  • Draft 5'
  • Speed 41 kts.
  • Complement 17
  • Armament: One 40mm mount, four 21" Torpedoes and two twin .50 cal. machine guns
  • Propulsion: Three 1,500shp Packard W-14 M2500 gasoline engines, three shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    PT-356 196k c. 3 September 1943
    PT-356 and PT-359 seen outfitting at a Brooklyn Navy Yard astern of USS Roe (DD 418) and USS Jeffers (DD 621) with PT-71 outboard
    National Archives photo
    John Chiquoine

    Boat Captains
    01LTJG Charles S. Welsh, USNJuly 1945
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for PT-359
    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Index Back to the Motor Torpedo Boat (PT) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History