Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Patrol Craft Sweeper
Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - Tare - Victor - Fox


PCS-1376 Class Patrol Craft Sweeper:

  • Laid down 22 January 1943 as PC-1425 by the C. Hiltebrant Dry Dock Co., Kingston, NY
  • Reclassified PCS-1425 in April 1943
  • Launched 20 July 1943
  • Commissioned 4 February 1944
  • Advertised for sale in the Miami News edition of 21 October 1946 by the United States Maritime Commission
  • Transferred to the War Shipping Administration in January 1947 and laid up at Suisun Bay, CA
  • Acquired 17 September 1947 by the Puget Sound Naval Academy (later the Hill Naval Academy) of Winslow, WA and named Mr. Joe in honor of the academy founder, Joseph A. Hill
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 252 t.
  • Length 136'
  • Beam 24' 6"
  • Draft 8' 7"
  • Speed 14.1 kts.
  • Complement 57
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, one 20mm gun mount, four depth charge projectors, one depth charge projector (hedgehog), and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 800bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    USS PCS-1425
    PCS-1425 218k San Francisco Bay circa 1945-46
    Courtesy of William H. Davis, 1977
    U.S. Navy photo NH 85162
    Naval History and Heritage Command
    Puget Sound Naval Academy Training Ship "Mr. Joe"
    PCS-1425 297k Bill Gonyo

    There is no DANFS history available for PCS-1425
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back To The Patrol Craft Sweeper (PCS) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Gary P. Priolo and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History