Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online: Patrol Craft Sweeper
Photo Archive

Conneaut (PCS 1444)

Call sign:
Nan - Queen - Zebra - Nan


PCS-1376 Class Patrol Craft Sweeper:

  • Originally planned as PC-1444, but reclassified PCS-1444 in April 1943
  • Laid down 14 May 1943 by the Harbor Boatbuilding Co., Terminal Island, CA
  • Reclassified as an Auxiliary Motor Minesweeper, YMS-474, 7 October 1943
  • Launched 23 May 1944
  • Reclassified back to PCS-1444, 23 June 1944
  • Commissioned USS PCS-1444, 20 December 1944
  • Decommissioned in 1950
  • Named Conneaut 15 February 1956
  • Struck from the Navy Register 5 September 1957 and sold
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 270 t.
  • Length 136'
  • Beam 24' 6"
  • Draft 8' 7"
  • Speed 14.1 kts.
  • Complement 57
  • Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose mount, one 40mm gun mount, two 20mm gun mounts, four depth charge projectors, one depth charge projector (hedgehog), and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 800bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, diesel engines, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    No image of Conneaut (PCS 1444) is available at this time

    Commanding Officers
    01LT A. H. Morrison, USNR1945
    02LT Robert Dunlap Pace, Jr., USNMarch 1950
    Courtesy of Wolfgang Hechler, Ron Reeves and Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for Conneaut (PCS 1444)
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association

    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Type Index Back to the Patrol Craft Sweeper (PCS) Photo Index Back To the Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index Back To The Auxiliary Motor Minesweeper (YMS) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History