Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

USCGC Hansen (CGSC 68)
ex-USS SC-68

Call sign:
Nan - Oboe - Dog - Quack

SC-68 served both the U. S. Navy and Coast Guard

SC-1 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down at the Mathis Yacht Building C0., Camden, NJ
  • Commissioned USS SC-68, 15 March 1918
  • Transferred to the Coast Guard 14 January 1920 and named USCGC Hansen (CGSC 68)
  • Named for Quartermaster Hans Hansen, USCG of Hvitmolle, Sweden a member of the torpedoed USCGC Tampa, lost during World War I
  • Placed out of commission 14 January 1920
  • Loaned to the Prohibition Commissioner 10 March 1922
  • Returned to Coast Guard 7 January 1923
  • Decommissioned 10 January 1923 at the Coast Guard Depot
  • Sold 28 April 1927 to George Johnson of Baltimore, MD for $505.00
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 85 t.
  • Length 110'
  • Beam 14' 8.75"
  • Max Draft (fl) 5' 8"
  • Speed 18 kts.
  • Complement 27
    1920 - 16
  • Armament: One single 3"/23 gun mount, two .30 cal. machine guns, and one depth charge projector "Y Gun"
  • Propulsion: Three Standard 220hp gasoline engines, three shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-68 & SC-73 138k SC-68 moored between SC-73 and an unidentified tug
    National Archives photo
    Dan Treadwell

    Commanding Officers
    01LTJG Clarence Earl Williams, USN1918
    02ENS Maynard L. Patton, USNRF1919
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-68
    Additional Resources and Websites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History