Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - Oboe - Jig - Love

SC-1 Class Submarine Chaser

  • Laid down at Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, VA
  • Commissioned 4 October 1917
  • Sold 20 July 1921 to Henry A. Hitner Sons Co. of Philadelphia, PA
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 99 t.
  • Length 110'
  • Beam 13' 6"
  • Draft 6' 3"
  • Speed 17 kts.
  • Complement 26
  • Armament: One 3"/23 gun mount, two .30 cal. machine guns, and one depth charge projector "Y Gun"
  • Propulsion: Three 220hp Standard gasoline engines, three shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-120 234k Bringing the mail to USS Iowa (BB-4) off the U.S. East Coast, circa 1918
    Collection of Commander Haines H. Lippincott, ChC, USN
    U.S. Navy photo NH 86174
    Naval History and Heritage Command
    SC-120 897k At the Quartermasters Terminal, Boston, Massachusetts, on 23 May 1919, after their arrival from overseas. Many of these SCs are flying long Homeward Bound pennants. The group at left includes (from left): SC-120, SC-130, and six other subchasers. The four subchasers at right are (from inboard to outboard): unidentified SC, SC-220, SC-34
    and SC-222
    Panoramic photograph by the F.A. George Photo Company, 680 Mass. Ave., Boston
    Donation of Gwyndolyn Towles, April 2007
    U.S. Navy photo NH 105181

    Photo added 10 October 2020

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-120
    Additional Resources and Websites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    The Sub Chaser Archives
    by Todd Woofenden
    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History