Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - Oboe - King - Able

SC-1 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down at the Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, VA
  • Commissioned USS SC-130, 21 December 1917
  • Sold 11 May 1921 to C. P. Comerford of Lowell, MA
  • Registered in 1927 to Antonio Busalacchi of Boston, MA as the fishing boat Alert
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 85 t.
    1927 - 78 t.
  • Length 110'
  • Beam 14' 8.75"
    1927 - 15'
  • Draft 5' 8"
  • Speed 18 kts.
  • Complement 27
    1927 - Five
  • Armament: One single 3"/23 gun mount, two .30 cal. machine guns, and one depth charge projector "Y Gun"
  • Propulsion: Three Standard 220hp gasoline engines, three shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-120 897k At the Quartermasters Terminal, Boston, Massachusetts, on 23 May 1919, after their arrival from overseas. Many of these SCs are flying long Homeward Bound pennants. The group at left includes (from left): SC-120, SC-130, and six other subchasers. The four subchasers at right are (from inboard to outboard): unidentified SC, SC-220, SC-34 and SC-222
    Panoramic photograph by the F.A. George Photo Company, 680 Mass. Ave., Boston
    Donation of Gwyndolyn Towles, April 2007
    U.S. Navy photo NH 105181
    Naval History and Heritage Command

    Commanding Officers
    01LTJG Harold G. Billings, USN1918 - 1919
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-130
    Additional Resources and Websites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History