Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

USCGC Mehalatos (CGSC 197)



Call sign (1922):
George - Vice - King - Love

ex-USS SC-197



Call sign:
George - Boy - Watch - Dog


Call sign (1924):
Nan - Oboe - Mike - Tare

SC-197 served both the U. S. Navy and Coast Guard


SC-1 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Built by the General Shipbuilding and Aero Corp., Alexandria, VA
  • Commissioned USS SC-197, 15 April 1918
  • Decommissioned 12 August 1919 at Norfolk, VA
  • Transferred to the Coast Guard 14 November 1919 at Norfolk, VA and named USCGC Mehalatos (CGSC 197)
  • Named for Oiler 1/c Gerassemos Mehalatos, USCG a member of the torpedoed USCGC Tampa, lost during World War I
  • Her equipment was removed and stored at the USCG Depot at Curtis Bay, MD in December 1922
  • Sold 29 January 1923
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 85 t.
  • Length 110'
  • Beam 14' 9"
  • Draft (fl) 5' 8"
  • Speed 18 kts.
  • Complement 27
  • Armament: One 3"/23 gun mount, two .30 cal. machine guns and one depth charge projector
  • Propulsion: Three 220bhp Standard gasoline engines, three shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-104 395k Inboard profile, inboard arrangement, deck plan, 110 foot U.S. submarine chaser
    U.S. Navy photo NH 83619
    Naval History and Heritage Command

    Commanding Officers
    01ENS Howard William Bradbury, USNRF1919
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-197
    Additional Resources and Websites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History