Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

USCGC Ovesen (CGSC 199)



Call sign (1922):
George - Vice - King - Mike

ex-USS SC-199



Call sign (1919):
George - Boy - Watch - Have


Call sign (1919):
Nan - Oboe - Mike - Xray


SC-199 served both the U. S. Navy and Coast Guard

SC-1 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Built by the General Shipbuilding and Aero Corp., Alexandria, VA
  • Commissioned USS SC-199, 14 April 1918
  • Transferred to the Coast Guard 14 November 1919 at Norfolk, VA and named USCGC Ovesen (CGSC 199)
  • Named for Water Tender Martin M. Ovesen, USCG a member of crew of the USCGC Seneca in an attempt to save the coal-laden steamer Wellington after that vessel had been torpedoed on 16
    September 1918. Ovesen was Posthumously awarded the Navy Cross
  • Sold 21 August 1923 in Baltimore, MD
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 85 t.
  • Length 110'
  • Beam 14' 9"
  • Draft (fl) 5' 8"
  • Speed 18 kts.
  • Complement 27
  • Armament: One 3"/23 gun mount, two .30 cal. machine guns and one depth charge projector
  • Propulsion: Three 220bhp Standard gasoline engines, three shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-104 395k Inboard profile, inboard arrangement, deck plan, 110 foot U.S. submarine chaser
    U.S. Navy photo NH 83619
    Naval History and Heritage Command

    Commanding Officers
    01ENS Howard K. Miller, USNRF1918
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-199
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History