Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

USCGC Adams (CGSC 268)
ex-USS SC-268

Call sign:
George - Cast - Fox - King

Call sign (1919):
Nan - Oboe - Rush - Pup

SC-268 served both the U. S. Navy and Coast Guard

SC-1 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Built by George Lawley and Sons, Neponset, MA
  • Commissioned USS SC-268, 1 April 1918
  • Transferred to the Coast Guard 17 January 1920, named USCGC Adams (CGSC 268) and delivered to the USCG Academy
  • Named for Cabin Steward James Jenkins Adams, USCG a member of the torpedoed USCGC Tampa, lost during World War I
  • Adams may have been the first African-American Coast Guardsman to have a ship named for him
  • Decommissioned 14 December 1920
  • Sold 25 May 1922 to the Connecticut Iron and Metal Co., for $900.00 (This includes price of USCGC Stellenwerf (CGSC 417), ex-USS SC-417)
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 85 t.
  • Length 110'
  • Beam 14' 8.75"
  • Draft (fl) 5' 8"
  • Speed 18 kts.
  • Complement 27
  • Armament: One 3"/23 gun mount, two .30 cal. machine guns, and one depth charge projector (Y-Gun)
  • Propulsion: Three 220hp Standard gasoline engines, three shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-104 395k Inboard profile, inboard arrangement, deck plan, 110 foot U.S. submarine chaser
    U.S. Navy photo NH 83619
    Naval History and Heritage Command

    Commanding Officers
    01ENS Louis M. Watson, USNRF1919
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-268
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History