Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

U.S. Army Artillery Steamer V-10
ex-USS SC-275

Call sign:
George - Tare - Mike - Watch

Call sign (1919):
Nan - Oboe - Rush - Zed

SC-275 served both the U. S. Navy and the Army

SC-1 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down at Mare Island Navy Yard, Mare Island, CA
  • Launched 16 July 1917
  • Commissioned USS SC-275, 30 March 1918
  • Sponsored by Catherine Cheatham, daughter of Pay Inspector and Mrs. J. J. Cheatham
  • Conducted trial runs on 1 and 4 April 1918
  • Departed Mare Island 7 April 1918
  • Returned to Mare Island 5 September 1919
  • Decommissioned 11 October 1919 and transferred to the War Department
  • Placed aboard USAT South Bend 8 December 1919
  • Departed Mare Island 9 December 1919
  • Reclassified as Artillery Steamer, V-10
  • Donated the federal prison at McNeil Island, Washington and cannibalized for parts to keep their fleet of boats going.


  • Displacement 85 t.
  • Length 110'
    1920 - 105'
  • Beam 17'
    1920 - 14.5'
  • Draft 6' 6" (fl)
    1920 - 9.2'
  • Speed 17 kts.
  • Complement 27
    1920 - Five
  • Armament: One 3"/23 mount, two .30 cal. machine guns, and one depth charge projector (Y-gun)
  • Propulsion: Three 220hp Standard gasoline engines, three shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-273 - 277 72k 7 June 1917
    SC-273, SC-274, SC-275, SC-276, and SC-277 during construction at Mare Island, CA
    National Archives photo
    Dan Treadwell
    SC-273 - 277 102k Sub chasers hull number SC 273 - 277 on the building ways at Mare Island Navy Yard in 1917. The shipyard built 15 sub chasers during WWI Darryl L. Baker
    SC-273 - 280 40k Eight of the 15 sub chasers built at Mare Island during WWI are shown in this 1918 photo being outfitted. The vessels shown are from right to left are: SC-280, 279, 278, 277, 276, 275, 274 and 273
    SC-275 150k Commencement Bay, Tacoma, WA Perry Brake
    Steilacoom Historical Museum Association
    Photo Archivist

    Commanding Officers
    01ENS Frank K. Wyatt, USNRF1918
    02LTJG Edward Van Pelt, USN1918
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-275
    Additional Resources and Websites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index Back to the U.S. Army Artillery Steamers Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History