Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

SC-284



Call sign:
George - Tare - Nan - Mike


Call sign (1919):
Nan - Oboe - Sail - Mike

SC-1 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down at Mare Island Navy Yard, Mare Island, CA
  • Launched 20 April 1918
  • Commissioned USS SC-28429 April 1918
  • Conducted trial runs, 1, 10, 14, 18, 22 and 24 May 1918
  • Entered Dry Dock No. 2, 29 May to 3 June and returned 5 - 10 June 1918
  • Conducted additional trial run 4 June 1918
  • Departed Mare Island 7 June 1918
  • Sold 24 March 1923 to J. F. Gibson of Los Angeles, CA
  • Registered in 1927 to the Halfhill Packing Corp. of Long Beach, CA as the fishing boat Huntress
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 85 t.
    1927 - 78 t.
  • Length 110'
    1927 - 104.4'
  • Beam 14' 8.75"
    14.5'
  • Draft 5' 8"
    1927 - 8.8'
  • Speed 18 kts.
  • Complement 27
    1927 - Two
  • Armament: One 3"/23 gun mount, two .30 cal. machine guns and one depth charge projector "Y Gun"
  • Propulsion: Three 220hp Standard gasoline engines, three shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-104 395k Inboard profile, inboard arrangement, deck plan, 110 foot U.S. submarine chaser
    U.S. Navy photo NH 83619
    Naval History and Heritage Command

    Commanding Officers
    01ENS Edgar F. Davis, USN1918
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-284
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History