Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

USS SC-433

Call sign (1924):
Nan - Oboe - Pup - Zed

ex-USCGC Klingelhoefer (CGSC 433)

Call sign (1920):
George - Vice - King - Dog

ex-USS SC-433

Call sign (1919):
George - Have - Quack - Mike

SC-433 served both the U. S. Navy and Coast Guard

SC-1 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Built in 1918 by the Matthews Boat Co., Port Clinton, OH
  • Commissioned USS SC-433, 25 November 1918
  • Transferred to the Coast Guard 21 October 1919 and commissioned USCGC Klingelhoefer (CGSC 433)
  • Named for a member of the torpedoed USCGC Tampa, lost during World War I
  • Returned to the U.S. Navy 31 August 1921 and recommissioned USS SC-433
  • Assigned to Third Battalion, U.S. Navy Reserve, at Rochester, NY in 1922
  • Scuttled on Lake Ontario, off Rochester, NY, 29 January 1938.


  • Displacement 77 t.
  • Length 110'
  • Beam 13' 6"
  • Draft 6' 3"
  • Speed 18 kts.
  • Complement 17
  • Armament: One 3"/23 gun mount, two .30 cal. machine guns, and one depth charge projector "Y Gun"
  • Propulsion: Three 220shp Standard gasoline engines, three shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    USS SC-433
    SC-433 73k Historical Collections of the Great Lakes
    USCGC Klingelhoefer (CGSC 433)
    SC-433 8k

    Carpenter Charles Henry Klingelhoefer, USCG, a member of the torpedoed USCGC Tampa, lost during World War I

    Remember the Tampa!
    USS SC-433
    SC-433 69k 26 June 1922
    Summerville, NY
    Approaching the Naval Reserves wharf at Summerville, on the Genesee River
    Photo from the Albert R. Stone Negative Collection, Rochester Museum and Science Center, Rochester, NY
    Bill Farress
    SC-433 106k 26 June 1922
    Some crew members posing with the ships boat
    Photo from the Albert R. Stone Negative Collection, Rochester Museum and Science Center, Rochester, NY
    SC-433 81k 26 June 1922
    Summerville, NY
    A dozen men of the Rochester crew of the subchaser SC 433 sit on the vessel's deck. The men brought the submarine chaser to the Summerville Naval Reserves dock from the Great Lakes Naval Training Station in Chicago. The voyage through the lakes took a week
    Front row, left to right: Watertender Lane, Gunner Mikel, Seaman Kelly
    Middle row, left to right: Boatswain's Mate Schrader, Chief Machinist Mate Ritter, Engineer officer LT Henry L. Howe, NNV; Commanding officer ENS Benjamin Forsythe, USNRF; Chief Electrician Seely, Chief Machinist's Mate Orlando and Engine Driver, 1st class, McCumber
    Back row, left to right: Fireman Fish and Boatswain's Mate Haight
    The Summerville Naval Reserves station is at the right; the Genesee River, at the left
    Photo from the Albert R. Stone Negative Collection, Rochester Museum and Science Center, Rochester, NY

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-433
    Excerpts from the original log of the Old Chicago Coast Guard Station regarding SC-431, 433, 437 and SC-438

    October 13th , 1919

    At 10:30 A.M. received telephone message from Capt. Conner USCG request that five enlisted men be subsisted at this station while getting the Sub Chaser No. 438 in readiness to sail for Duluth, Minn.

    October 16th, 1919

    Sub Chaser No. 438 was towed to station at 3:00 P.M. and moored, crew insisting in getting same in readiness, fitting out and overhauling equipment.

    October 24th, 1919

    District Superintendent and Keeper commenced taking inventory of equipment on Sub Chaser which are to be turned over to Coast Guard.

    October 25th ,1919

    Superintendent and keeper taking inventory of equipment on Sub Chaser No. 437-431, and 433.

    October 26th, 1919

    Surfman Elmer C. Anderson from Coast Guard Station #289, arrived at this station at 10:00 A.M. having been temporarily transferred to this station as SHIPKEEPER on Sub Chaserís laid up at Chicago, H.L.-10/20/19 (73-531).

    October 28th, 1919

    District Superintendent, Keeper, and surfman Anderson, taking inventory on Sub Chasers No. 431, 433, and 437, making preparation for laying up the ships for winter.

    January 29th, 1920

    Surfman Anderson who is ship keeper on Sub Chasers , Chicago River was directed to hospital which will probably require a few days.

    December 27th, 1920

    Boatswain (L) left station and proceeded to Sub Chaser at North Ave. Bridge, looked over all the engines and found that the Auxiliary engine which is used for generating light system, and charging storage batteries, had not been drained on the night of the 25th, by Surfman Shipley, and caused the cylinder heads and compressor to freeze and crack. Report of the above has been forwarded to District Superintendent. Returned to station at 4:00p.m.

    January 20, 1921

    District Superintendent 12 District, Green Bay Wisc., arrived at the station 10:45 A.M., mustered crew and looked at all property on the station. Departed station at 1:30 P.M. accompanied by Boatswain (L) J.O Anderson, to Sub Chasers 431, 433, 437, and launch open boat search arriving on board at 2:30 P.M. Made a thorough examination of the heater and engine which has been cracked on December 25, 1920 by neglect by Surfman Shipley and S. Martin whom were left as charge as caretakers. District Superintendent left Sub Chasers at 4:00 P.M.

    March 30th, 1921

    Note: Coast Guard General Court Closed after 4 days of hearing of accused Surfman Martin and Surfman Shipley. Officer Molloy, Super B. G. Mothberg and R. C. Hiemer (JG) were conveyed on shore
    by surfboat.

    June 26th, 1921

    At 8:00 a.m. Boatswain (L), and two Surfman left the station for North Ave. Bridge and River. removed Sub Chaser No.431-433-437, from North Branch, Chicago River to North end of Lincoln Park Lagoon and moored safe. Permission for mooring Sub Chaser was granted to the Coast Guard by Park Commissioners, Lincoln Park. Reasons for mooring Sub Chasers is that the North Branch Chicago River being very dirty and unfit for the men to live on board.

    August 26th, 1921

    Letter received from District Superintendent pertaining to the Sub Chasers No. 431-433-437 to be transferred from the Coast Guard to the Navy Department. Arrangements for return of these vessels are being made with Commandant, 9th Naval Dist.

    August 31st, 1921

    Boatswain(L) J.O Anderson left station at 1000 am proceeded to Lincoln Park and completed the inventory of public property on board the three Sub Chaser 431-433-437. Transferred to the Navy Department August 31, 1921.

    Contributed by Herbert J. Harmon, CWO3
    Commanding Officer
    U. S. Coast Guard Station
    Calumet Harbor
    4001 E. 98th St Chicago ILL, 60617

    Additional Resources and Websites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Type Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History