Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - Uncle - Love - Oboe


SC-503 served the Navies of the United States and France.

SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 30 January 1941 by the Rice Brothers Corp., East Boothbay, ME
  • Launched 14 March 1942
  • Sponsored by Miss Caroline Rice
  • Commissioned USS PC-503, 24 April 1942
  • Reclassified SC-503 in April 1943
  • Transferred to France 4 November 1944 and reclassified CH-112
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 148 t.
  • Length 110' 10"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 15.6 kts.
  • Complement 28
  • Armament: One 40mm mount, two .50 cal. machine guns, two depth charge projectors "Y Gun," and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 880bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-504 20k Rice Brothers Corporation (East Boothbay, Maine) was founded by his grandfather Henry W. Rice and his brothers William and Frank in 1892. Henry bought out his brothers and ran the yard with his sons, Donald, Baxter (Roberts father) and Carl until 1956. The yard was sold several times afterward and was bought by Washburn and Doughty in 1988. The picture shows the yard from the water front in 1942, the PC-504 (later SC-504) on the left is ready for launching, the PC-503 (later SC-503) is fitting out and the YMS-12 is dockside fitting out. .

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-503
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Type Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History