Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

USCGC Air Condor (WAVR 414)
ex-USS SC-512

Call sign:
Nan - Able - Dog - Sugar

ex-USS PC-512

SC-512 served both the U. S. Navy and Coast Guard

SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 12 August 1941 by the American Cruiser Co., Detroit, MI
  • Launched 26 March 1942
  • Delivered 10 July 1942 and commissioned USS PC-512 under the command of LT Lawrason Riggs, III, USNR
  • Reclassified SC-512 in April 1943
  • Transferred to the Coast Guard 24 October 1945 and commissioned USCGC Air Condor (WAVR 414)
  • Sold 17 January 1948
  • Acquired in 1949 by Tideland Service, Inc. of New Orleans, LA for use as a yacht and named Argo
  • Acquired in 1950 by Ralph Calvert of Pensacola, FL for use as a fishing boat
  • Acquired in 1963 by Reginald E. Brown od La Marque, TX
  • Acquired in 1967 by Bay Boats, Inc. of Kemah, TX
  • Burned 21 November 1967, approximately 2 miles off the coast of Texas.


  • Displacement 148 t.
  • Length 110' 10"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 21 kts.
  • Complement 28
  • Armament: One 40mm gun mount, two .50 cal. machine guns, two depth charg e projector "Y Gun," and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 1,540bhp General Motors (Electro-Motive Div.) 16-184A diesel engines, two shafts.
    Click On Image
    For Full Size Image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-497 161k Exploded view of SC-497 class Subchaser. © 1997 Theodore R. Treadwell

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-512
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Type Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History