Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - William - Xray - George


SC-679 served the Navies of the United States and Spain.

SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 4 March 1942 by the Thomas Knutson Shipbuilding Corp., Halesite, Long Island, NY
  • Launched 20 August 1942
  • Commissioned USS PC-679, 19 December 1942
  • Reclassified SC-679 in April 1943
  • Placed in service in July 1946 as a Naval Reserve training ship assigned to the 6th Naval District (Charleston)
  • Transferred to Spain 24 October 1956 and named Candido Perez (W 11)
  • Struck from the Navy list in 1974
  • Scrapped at Cartagena, Spain in 1975.


  • Displacement 148 t
  • Length 110"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 15.6 kts.
  • Complement 28
  • Armament: One 40mm gun mount, two .50 cal. machine guns, two dcp "Y Gun," and two dct
  • Propulsion: Two 800bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    USS SC-679
    SC-679 141k 25 July 1952
    Being loaded at the Norfolk Navy Yard for shipment to the Far East
    National Archives photo
    Dan Treadwell
    Candido Perez (W 11)
    SC-679 52k . Robert Hurst
    SC-679 63k c. 1958
    Spanish Navy photo from the 1958/1959 edition of Jane's Fighting Ships
    SC-679 173k c. 1966
    Spanish Navy photo from the 1966/1967 edition of Jane's Fighting Ships

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-679
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History