Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - William - Xray - Peter


SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 24 March 1942 by the Thomas Knutson Shipbuilding Corp., Halesite, Long Island, NY
  • Launched 30 September 1942
  • Commissioned PC-681, 8 March 1943
  • Reclassified SC-681 in April 1943
  • Decommissioned 10 January 1946
  • Struck from the Naval Register 7 February 1946
  • Transferred to the Maritime Commission 13 November 1946 for disposal
  • Acquired in 1949 by Phillips Petroleum Co. of Houston, TX for use as an oil exploration vessel and named Phillips 4
  • Acquired in 1957 by the Ocean Driling and Exploration Co. of New Orleans, LA
  • Acquired in 1961 by Clotila E. Mola of Miami, FL for use as a freighter
  • Acquired in 1963 by Sea Spartan, Inc. of Miami
  • Stranded 1 November 1966 on a reef 5 miles west of Dumas, Cuba.


  • Displacement 148 t.
  • Length 110"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 21 kts.
  • Complement 28
  • Armament: One 40mm gun mount, two 20 mm mounts, two .50 cal. machine guns, two depth charge projector "Y Guns," and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 800bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-681 268k . Matthew Nichols

    Commanding Officers
    01LT Calvin M. Whitesell, Jr., USNR8 March 1943
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-681
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History