Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - Xray - Baker - Xray


Friendswood call sign:
Alpha - Yankee - Delta - Echo

SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 11 April 1942 by the Elizabeth City Shipyard, Elizabeth City, NC
  • Launched 10 June 1942
  • Commissioned PC-707, 24 October 1942
  • Reclassified SC-707 in April 1943
  • Decommissioned 1 February 1946
  • Transferred to the Maritime Commission 13 August 1946
  • Struck from the Naval Register 12 March 1946
  • Acquired in 1946 by the Humble Oil and Refining Co. of Houston, TX and named Friendswood
  • Acquired in 1959 by Elmer C. Hartman of New York, NY for use as a yacht
  • Acquired in 1966 by the Junior Sea Knights of America of Brooklyn, NY and renamed Sea Knight 101
  • Acquired in 1970 by Cyril B. Hamblett of Glens Falls, NY and renamed Mi Tesoro
  • Out of documentation in 1977
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 148 t.
  • Length 110' 10"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 15.6 kts.
  • Complement 28
  • Armament: One 40mm mount, two .50 cal. machine guns, two depth charge projector "Y Guns," and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 880bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    No image of SC-707 is available at this time

    Commanding Officers
    01LTJG Eugene de Kieffer, USNR24 October 1942
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-707
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History