Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - Xray - Charlie - Yoke


SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 16 March 1942 by the Fisher Boat Works Detroit, MI
  • Launched 25 July 1942
  • Completed 10 September 1942
  • Commissioned PC-712, 15 September 1942
  • Reclassified SC-712 in April 1943
  • Reclassified as a Control Submarine Chaser, SCC-712, 20 August 1945
  • Decommissioned 8 January 1946 at San Francisco, CA
  • Struck from the Naval Register 25 February 1946
  • Transferred to the Maritime Commission 27 February 1948
  • Acquired in 1952 by the Pacific Towboat and Salvage Co. of Long Beach, CA for use as a tug boat and named Pacific Seafarer
  • Operated in 1958 under the Panamanian flag
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 148 t.
  • Length 110' 10"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 15.6 kts.
  • Complement 28
  • Armament: One 3"/23 mount, two 20mm mounts, two depth charge projector "Y Guns," two anti-submarine Mousetrap and two depth charge racks
  • Propulsion: Two 880bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-712 324k 14 May 1943
    Photo from U. S. Small Combatants: An Illustrated Design History by Norman Friedman
    Robert Hurst

    Commanding Officers
    01LTJG Robert H. Gardiner, USNR15 September 1942
    02LTJG Hugh H. P. Lewis, USNR1945
    Courtesy of Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-712
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History