Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

USCGC Air Merlin (WAVR 439)
ex-USS SC-985

Call sign:
Nan - Charlie - Jig - Tare

ex-USS PC-985

SC-985 served both the U. S. Navy and Coast Guard.

SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 3 April 1942 by John E. Matton and Son, Inc., Cohoes, NY
  • Launched 18 September 1942
  • Commissioned USS PC-985, 19 December 1942 under the command of LTJG Daniel F. Larkin, USNR
  • Reclassified SC-985 in April 1943
  • Decommissioned 20 August 1945
  • Transferred to the Coast Guard 30 October 1945 and commissioned USCGC Air Merlin (WAVR 439)
  • Sold 26 September 1947
  • Acquired in 1949 by Bebe Inc. of Morehead City, NC for use as a fishing boat and named Miss Morehead
  • Acquired in 1951 by Merlin, Inc. of Morehead City
  • Acquired in 1954 by Patricia Ann Webb of Beaufort, NC
  • Acquired in 1959 by John Santos Carinhas of Patterson, LA
  • Abandoned in 1964.


  • Displacement 111 t.
  • Length 110' 10"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 21 kts.
  • Complement 28
  • Armament: One 40mm gun mount, two .50 cal. machine guns, two depth charge projector "Y Guns," and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 1,540bhp General Motors (Electro-Motive Div.) 16-184A diesel engines, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    No image of SC-985 is available at this time

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-985
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created Gary P. Priolo and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History