Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - Charlie - Nan - Baker


SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 16 November 1942 as PC-993 by the George W. Kneass Co., San Francisco, CA
  • Reclassified SC-993 in April 1943
  • Launched 1 May 1943
  • Commissioned 30 June 1943
  • Decommissioned in December 1945 at San Francisco, CA
  • Struck from the Naval Register 3 January 1946
  • Transferred to the Maritime Commission 4 March 1948
  • Acquired in 1950 by William Scott Hume of Los Angeles, CA for use as a yacht and named Doco
  • Acquired in 1954 by Ralph E. Perkins of Alhambra, CA for use as a freighter
  • Acquired in 1956 by Arthur Garfield Banks of Wilmington, CA
  • Abandoned 3 September 1962 at the port of Manzanillo, Mexico.


  • Displacement 148 t.
  • Length 110' 10"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 15.6 kts.
  • Complement 28
  • Armament: One 40mm mount, two .50 cal. machine guns, two depth charge projector "K Guns," and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 880bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-993 38k Underwater inspection report Carl Ross

    Commanding Officers
    01LTJG Frederick J. Whittlesey, Jr., USNR30 June 1943
    02LTJG C. Curtis, USNRMarch 1944
    03LTJG D. A. Hollsten, USNR1945
    Courtesy of Joe Radigan and Carl Ross

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-993
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History