Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive


Contributed by Wes Hall

Call sign:
Nan - Charlie - Nan - Xray


SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 16 November 1942 as PC-995 by the George W. Kneass Co., San Francisco, CA
  • Reclassified SC-995 in April 1943
  • Launched 5 June 1943
  • Commissioned 14 August 1943
  • Grounded 9 October 1945 at Okinawa during Typhoon Louise
  • Salvaged and decommissioned 29 November 1945
  • Struck from the Naval Register 19 December 1945
  • Transferred to the Maritime Commission 10 November 1946
  • Acquired in 1947 by the Atlantic Refining Co. of Philadelphia, PA and named Atlantic 111
  • Scrapped in 1955.


  • Displacement 148 t.
  • Length 110' 10"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 15.6 kts.
  • Complement 28
  • Armament: One 40mm mount, two .50 cal. machine guns, two depth charge projector "K Guns," and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 880bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-995 Crew 112k c. 1944
    Crew photo
    Wes Hall via Tom Kermen
    SC-995 Crew 83k c. December 1945
    Treasure Island, CA
    SC-995 Crew 89k c. 1945

    Commanding Officers
    01LTJG George K. Hardy, USNR14 August 1943
    02ENS Laurence T. Cleary, USNROctober 1945
    03ENS W. P. Lowry, USNRNovember 1945
    Courtesy of Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-995
    Additional Resources and Websites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History