Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

USCGC Air Penguin (WAVR 447)
ex-USS SC-1010

Call sign:
Nan - Charlie - Tare - How


SC-1010 served both the U. S. Navy and Coast Guard

SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 30 July 1942 as PC-1010 by Fellows and Stewart, Wilmington, CA
  • Launched 12 December 1942
  • Reclassified SC-1010 in April 1943
  • Commissioned USS SC-1010, 15 July 1943 at Wilmington
  • Decommissioned 5 December 1945, transferred to the Coast Guard and commissioned USCGC Air Penguin (WAVR 447)
  • Struck from the Naval Register 19 December 1945
  • Sold 18 January 1948 to Charles S. Cox of Pasadena, CA for use as a fishing boat and renamed Penguin
  • Acquired in 1954 by the Marine Products Co. of San Diego, CA
  • Operated in 1955 under the Mexican flag
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 101 t.
  • Length 110' 10"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 21 kts.
  • Complement 28
  • Armament: One 40mm gun mount, two .50 cal. machine guns, two depth charge projector "Y Guns," and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 1,540bhp General Motors (Electro-Motive Div.) 16-184A diesel engines, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-1010 277k Original photo: Commissioning ceremony
    LTJG L. C. Wild, CO reads his orders. Two officers to his left are: ENS J. A. Reid, XO and ENS E. O. Leonard
    Replacement photo: Photo by Kent Hitchcock, Marine and Commercial Photography, Balboa, CA
    National Archives photo
    Original photo: Norris Jamison
    Replacement photo: Dan Treadwell
    SC-1010 185k Commissioning ceremony. Looking aft
    Photo by Kent Hitchcock, Marine and Commercial Photography, Balboa, CA
    National Archives photo
    Dan Treadwell

    Commanding Officers
    01LTJG Laurence C. Wild, USNR15 July 1943
    02LTJG E. O. Leonard, USNR1945
    03LTJG R. A. Johnson, USCGR5 December 1945
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    History of USS SC-1010

    Built by Fellows and Stewart, Wilmington, California. Launched 12 December 1942. Commissioned 15 July 1943 at the builders yard. Lt.(JG) Lawrence C. Wild ,USNR, assumed command of the patrol craft SC-1010. During test and trial runs off the coast, a disaster caused crew casualties, with two missing, one seriously injured and seven others injured. The craft was then undergoing repairs, all ammunition, pyrotechnics, fuel and gear having been removed. All the crew and officers were assigned temporary additional duties ashore. On 1 Dec. she put into Anderson & Cristofani Shipyard ,San Francisco, and on 23 January 1944 she was taken in tow to the industrial repair docks, Treasure Island, San Francisco for completion of repairs,the entire crew participating in ship work followed by trial runs and structural firing test before getting underway for Oakland estuary to receive stores and fuel.On 14 Feb. 1944 she was rammed on her starboard quarter by the YP-131, returning her to drydock to repair hull and
    shaft damage.

    Following completion of repairs and trials, SC-1010 cruised into San Francisco Bay and berthed at the section patrol dock. Under orders of commander northern California Sector, Western Sea Frontier, She took part in patrolling duty in international waters on assigned station until relieved.

    On 31 May 1944 Harbor Entrance Control radioed orders to proceed to the Farralon Islands on a rescue mission. A coast guard vessel at the scene had taken her capacity of survivors of the SS Henry Baugh, grounded on northeast corner of an island. Men had abandoned the ship and were in the water on rafts. One hundred thirty were taken aboard to full capacity. The remaining rafts were collected alongside and stood by for further assistance to arrive. Later in the day all hands were delivered to the medical officer at Treasure Island.

    The SC-1010 was assigned to the Service Force, Service Squadron Two, U.S. Pacific Fleet, and under secret orders of 1 July 1944 was underway in column formation for Pearl Harbor; arriving 11 July, she was berthed at the escort docks. She was thereafter an escort of convoys proceeding farther on to bases at Eniwetok, Saipan, Guam, & Johnston Island. She was anchored at Saipan from 26 August, and with various task units served as patrol crafts, as anti-submarine screen between Tinian and Aguigan, Marianas, and as escort of submarines into harbor. On 3 November the base was under air raid alert, and
    SC-1010 spotted the plane and bomb explosion at 500 yards. With one task unit, in April 1945 SC-1010 escorted an LST to Saipan and Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands, then served as screen for the convoy entering Iwo harbor. On the return trip she escorted USS Seahorse [SS-304] to Saipan. Her last patrol was made south of Tinian in early June, and upon returning to Tanapag Harbor, she became a part of a task unit consisting of LST-1009 and nine SC vessels which got underway 9 June 1945 for Eniwetok later Pearl Harbor, and 27 June until 12 July they remained there.

    Under instructions of Commander Service Force Pacific the convoy departed for Seattle, Washington. Upon arrival in Puget Sound her ammunition was unloaded at Port Towsend, and on 25 July she was transferred to the Western Boat Building Company at Tacoma. On 5 December 1945 the SC-1010 was decommissioned and transferred to the U.S. Coast Guard. The same day she was recommissioned in that service, Ensign R. A. Johnson, USCGR in command. She was renamed the USCGC Air Penguin (WAVR-447).

    [Contributed by: Norris G. Jamison]

    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History