Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

USCGC Air Puffin (WAVR 454)
ex-USS SC-1027

Call sign:
Nan - Dog - Baker - King

ex-USS PC-1027

SC-1027 served both the U. S. Navy and Coast Guard

SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 7 September 1942 by the Mathis Yacht Building Co., Camden, NJ
  • Launched 26 January 1943
  • Commissioned USS PC-1027, 2 February 1943
  • Reclassified SC-1027 in April 1943
  • Damaged off Iwo Jima 24 February 1945
  • Transferred to the Coast Guard 10 December 1945 and commissioned USCGC Air Puffin (WAVR 454)
  • Struck from the Naval Register 3 January 1946
  • Sold 24 September 1947
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 105 t.
  • Length 110' 10"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 21 kts.
  • Complement 28
  • Armament: One 40mm gun mount, two 20mm mounts, two .50 cal. machine guns, two depth charge projector "Y Guns" and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 1,540bhp General Motors (Electro-Motive Div.) 16-184A diesel engines, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-1027 160k In dry dock Levi Ballard
    SC-1027 132k
    SC-1027 113k
    SC-1027 137k
    SC-1027 119k
    SC-1027 136k Manning the starboard 20mm mount
    SC-1027 159k Manning the 40mm mount
    SC-1027 182k Moored inboard of an unidentified SC
    SC-1027 126k Moored outboard of SC-1032

    Commanding Officers
    01LTJG P. G. Swartz, USNR1945
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-1027
    Additional Resources and Websites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History