Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

USCGC Air Starling (WAVR 467)
ex-USS SC-1070

Call sign:
Nan - Fox - King - William


SC-1070 served both the U. S. Navy and Coast Guard.

SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 21 January 1943 as PC-1070 by the Mathis Yacht Building Co., Camden, NJ
  • Reclassified SC-1070 in April 1943
  • Launched 3 May 1943
  • Commissioned USS SC-1070, 24 May 1943 under the command of LTJG Harry A. MacEwen, USNR
  • Decommissioned 1 December 1945
  • Transferred to the Coast Guard 2 December 1945
  • Commissioned USCGC Air Starling (WAVR 467), 4 December 1945
  • Struck from the Naval Register 19 December 1945
  • Sold 19 January 1948 to L. A. Patton of Seattle, WA for use as a fishing boat and renamed Reefer Clipper
  • Acquired in 1958 by James W. Neally of Seattle
  • Acquired in 1967 by Everett F. Kennedy of Sedro Woolley, WA
  • Acquired in 1970 by deep-sea diver Alfred A. Mikalow of Oakland, CA and renamed Coastal Researcher
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 87 t.
  • Length 110' 10"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 21 kts.
  • Complement 28
  • Armament: One 40mm gun mount, two .50 cal. machine guns, two depth charge projector "Y Guns," and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 1,540bhp General Motors (Electro-Motive Div.) 16-184A diesel engines, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    No image of SC-1070 is available at this time

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-1070
    Additional Resources and Websites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by Tom Bateman
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History